You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Strokes and fills applied to a group as a whole instead of each individual element within the group

7 minutes ago, chessboard said:

I won't do it anymore.

I definitely don't want to limit you in anything. I just think it's better to create your own thread for this, rather than filling the thread with a discussion of workflows and new feature requirements.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

1 hour ago, Pšenda said:

It would be good to mention this fact explicitly in the request (for example as a Tag, etc.).
Unlike you, there are certainly a lot of users for whom the current simple procedure through Outline groups is sufficient, and the complicated solutions discussed here will be just confusing for them. Remember that many users (not just beginners) use the forum as a source of information and suggestion for their workflows.

It's a vector (and bitmap) graphics application. You can't possibly expect folks to tag whether they want a vector or a bitmap solution in Designer, especially when they are explicitly starting with vectors (see above). 

With all due respect I have absolutely no idea what you're trying to say. Are you implying that 'non-beginner/expert' users would not be interested in advanced questions/workflows, and that they have no place in the forums? Are you saying that the current features in Designer are sufficient for most users, and anything else is far too complicated? I just don't understand what you're getting at.

2 hours ago, chessboard said:

You can have multiple documents open in tabs, but you can't arange two designs side by side (at least on Windows).

On Windows: Window > Float (for a specific document) or Window > Float All. Then adjust the window size/placement as needed.

2 hours ago, chessboard said:

You can rotate your design, but only by keys in defined steps...!

As long as you have a mouse with a scroll wheel 1.9 allows you to rotate the view in any increment you want, not just the 15-degree steps.

Help: https://affinity.help/designer/English.lproj/pages/DesignAids/rotateCanvas.html

image.png.e61d2de489954644aa872c8469c22fe7.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Anyway, guys.
Let's get back on topic, somewhat. Okay?

Meanwhile I have noticed that you don't even need the Links panel to unlink certain attributes of a symbol:
The "official" method is to turn off the symbol syncing temporarily, make the unique change to the respective instance, then turn sync back on:
affinity.help/designer/English.lproj/pages/Panels/symbolsPanel.html
Essentially it does the same as if you'd turn off linked attributes in the Links panel, the Links panel even reflects those changes live.
The changed attributes won't sync anymore, the rest still will.
The benefit of the Links panel is that you have better control of the linked/unlinked/synced/unsynced attributes.

So… even if the Evil S(h)erif(f) should take the easter egg Links panel away from us, its core functionality within the Symbol feature will remain.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

Thanks, @walt.farrell. That's right.

But I knew both things, and you must admit that arranging windows by hand is not the optimal way. Windows has always offered the possibility to distribute and split subwindows as desired. The fact that you still have to do this manually in the apps is suboptimal and not up to date. Any office program can do this.

When rotating the drawing area, it is quite annoying to always have to put the pen down to rotate the drawing area via mouse or keys. In addition, the display quality is again rather suboptimal compared to many other programs. Everything is so frizzy when rotated, if you understand what I mean. There are also completely different display standards nowadays, especially if you use the graphics card. Look how Photoshop, Photoline or Clip Studio Paint handle this.

But @Pšenda is right so far, and I don't want to hitchhike this thread further, when it is regarded this way.