You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

My affinity publisher on Mac was crashed today and when I opened the app again,it didn't prompt me to continue on the file that I was working on. 

I actually saved the file as .afpub file before the app was crashed but when I try to load it again, the app prompts a message saying "failed to open file, the file type is not supported"

Is there any way to recover my file again?

Thanks for all the post.

Hi Kaan

Sorry to hear you're having this trouble. A large Publisher file I've been working on for several weeks is suddenly, an hour ago, not recognised by Publisher. I was working on it this morning and suddenly Publisher quits and then says it no longer recognises the Publisher file I was just work on!

My Mac OS updated earlier today, to 10.15.7. Maybe that may have caused it. Unfortunately I can't change that now. My file was around 300MB, with all the images now linked. The file I'm now seeing in its folder is now only 1.2MB, so Affinity Publisher seems to have dumped loads of it.

I wish you luck in sorting this. I'm noticing more and more people having similar problems so hopefully the nice people at Affinity will check it out and let us know how to prevent and solve the problem.

• Staff
On 5/5/2021 at 8:01 AM, Kaan Yigit said:

I actually saved the file as .afpub file before the app was crashed but when I try to load it again, the app prompts a message saying "failed to open file, the file type is not supported"

Do you have a copy of the afpub file at all you could attach or upload to our Dropbox here?  Depending on what's happened, it might be possible, it might not.  Do you have any information about what you had been doing when the crash happened?  

@BillCMartin If you also have a copy of the, could you attach it here or upload to our Dropbox here? and i'll see if anything can be done to recover it. 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, znids said:

Failed to open file ... The file is already open in another application."

What can I do now to restore my work?

Restart your computer, perhaps. 

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

47 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Restart your computer, perhaps. 

I'm tried this first and no result. And tried to open this file in old macbook with 1.9.1 AP version — don't opened, but with another message "Failed to open file ... The file is a linked file, but the parent file could not be found."

Somebody help me, please, don't want to remake 200 pages for tomorrow (

1 hour ago, znids said:

And tried to open this file in old macbook with 1.9.1 AP version — don't opened, but with another message "Failed to open file ... The file is a linked file, but the parent file could not be found."

You only get that message (in my experience) when you are trying to Open a file that has the .autosave extension. It should not happen when trying to Open a true .afpub file.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Just now, walt.farrell said:

You only get that message (in my experience) when you are trying to Open a file that has the .autosave extension. It should not happen when trying to Open a .afpub file.

I'm attached this file in my first message, it's an .afpub.

41 minutes ago, znids said:

I'm attached this file in my first message, it's an .afpub.

Interesting (and thanks). I know it has a .afpub extension, but is that how it was saved? Sometimes users try to rename .autosave files as .afpub, and that can cause this problem. Also, you initially said that you got "the file is open in another application", so it wasn't clear that the same copy of the file generated the other message.

In any case, trying to Open that file I get the same error message about it being a linked file with the parent missing. This happens for me in all the Affinity applications, including the current beta versions.

If it is possible to recover that file it may require assistance from the Serif staff. Sorry.

I see that @stokerg has been involved in this topic, so perhaps he can pass your file to the proper person to give that a try.

-- Walt
PC:

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

In any case, trying to Open that file I get the same error message about it being a linked file with the parent missing. This happens for me in all the Affinity applications, including the current beta versions.

If it is possible to recover that file it may require assistance from the Serif staff. Sorry.

I see that @stokerg has been involved in this topic, so perhaps he can pass your file to the proper person to give that a try.

Thank you, Walt, for involving. I'll be waiting for Serif staff answer

You're welcome.

-- Walt
PC:

• 4 weeks later...

I'm back with the same problem (nearly). After I got problems with broken files, which I describe earlier I'm installed latest Beta version of AP, and it's work great, no crashes o freezes. But I making some copies of my working file (just in case), and then i forgot to make copies for about 3-4 days. And it happens again, my file is broken! I'm just press save file and got this message: "Failed to open document. The file appears to be corrupted." When I pressed OK (only one button in this message), file is closed and not opened any more. (I'm attached this file to message)

I'm working in Affinity from first releases and be happy to switch from InDesign, and never had this issue with broken files. Why this happens now? Can anybody help me?

Maybe this problem on M1 Macs? I have MacBook Pro (13-inch, M1, 2020), Big Sur 11.2.3. Publisher 1.9.4.1082. Maybe it because of enabled FileVault on my Mac?

I think Affinity must make autosave with some versions of file (5-10), and this was fix this problem for a while.

svok_catalog_200x270_2021_34.afpub

Your latest file doesn't work for me, either.

Where are you saving your files? A local disk, or a network-attached disk or cloud storage?

-- Walt
PC:

Recovered data is attached

Pages 256-257 (out of 260) corrupt

Those pages replaced with blank pages

No more time today. Serif may be able to do a better recovery tomorrow (Monday)

svok_catalog_200x270_2021_34-recovered.afpub

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Your latest file doesn't work for me, either.

Where are you saving your files? A local disk, or a network-attached disk or cloud storage?

Local, but now i try to save it to cloud storage, because it have versions. See what happen.

Local is strongly recommended. I thought that if you were using cloud or NAS that might explain your problem.

-- Walt
PC:

1 hour ago, carl123 said:

Recovered data is attached

Pages 256-257 (out of 260) corrupt

Those pages replaced with blank pages

No more time today. Serif may be able to do a better recovery tomorrow (Monday)

Oh, man, thank you very much! Great job (how you doing that?))! File looking mostly good, some corrections needed, but it's great! Waiting for tomorrow for Serif guys answer, maybe they can completely recover my file.

Thank you again!