You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

M1 Mac / Big Sur: Affinity Designer asking to record my screen!

• Staff
1 hour ago, PixelPest said:

Fun fact is that Applejuicefactory´s own apps which uses the macOS color picker are not asking you for anything. So nice.

Are they (sandboxes) App store apps or downloaded from them directly?

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

I was talking about what comes with the installation of BigSur like TextEdit, Preview, iWork.apps, Notes etc - to adjust colours you can use their color picker over app windows without restrictions - as it was as long I can remember.

Edit: Just loaded another from the AppStore (sandboxed) and it's not asking when using the color picker.

Does this help or is there anything else I can try?

• Staff
1 hour ago, PixelPest said:

Just loaded another from the AppStore (sandboxed) and it's not asking when using the color picker.

And it can colour pick outside of its own app window, so pick the colour from elsewhere on the screen?

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

34 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

And it can colour pick outside of its own app window, so pick the colour from elsewhere on the screen?

19 minutes ago, PixelPest said:

Yes - outside the app, desktop another open app window wherever.

So can the Apple Color Picker when activated in Affinity via View > Apple Color Picker.
At least on Catalina.
And that seems logical to me because it's Apple's built-in framework. It doesn't need any extra permission.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

3 minutes ago, loukash said:

it's Apple's built-in framework. It doesn't need any extra permission

To expand on this:
The Apple Colors panel lives on its own. It's essentially a faceless app. You can activate it from wherever you are by a primitive AppleScript:

choose color

Save e.g. as an AppleScript app and that's it:

applescript_choose_color.png.14d57fb41ea84885ad365825c4a5dad6.png

Now you can pick colors and modify the global Apple color palettes from wherever you are.

You can't apply those picked colors directly because the floating Colors app isn't connected to any target, but sometimes you don't need that, you just want to pick a color value. (You can do that with the Digital Color Meter app as well, though, but oddly enough, Digital Color Meter doesn't provide access to the color picker framework to edit the palettes…)

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

7 hours ago, loukash said:

You can't apply those picked colors directly because the floating Colors app isn't connected to any target ...

Have you tried dragging any of the small color squares (or the larger one next to the dropper) onto an object in a document open in another application? Works for me in the Mac Affinity apps, in TextEdit, & others.

Anyway, the Apple Color Picker already has access to the whole screen because Apple designed it that way -- it would be useless if it could only pick colors from within its own window.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

FWIW, my favorite reference for all things related to the Apple Color Picker is The Macintosh OS X Color Picker. It's old so a few of the icons are different but it covers just about everything in its 'accordion' topics. So for example, clicking on the "Using Drag & Drop to Color Things in Mac OS X" explains how that works. 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

45 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Have you dried dragging any of the small color squares (or the larger one next to the dropper) onto an object in a document open in another application?

No, I was in a hurry to post it, having had a band rehearsal in the afternoon… (Finally a gig in June! Haven't performed live since last August! :))