You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Problem with blemish removal tool - picking wrong area

I've got a strange problem with the blemish removal tool that has appeared recently. Previously if I put the circle of the brush over a blemish and then dragged it to another part of the photo, then whatever was being picked by the brush would appear over the blemish. Now the part of the photo that appears over the blemish comes from an area of the photo some distance away from the brush. In some ways it is behaving like a healing brush tool.

Recent events on the computer, a desktop imac are the addition of a plugin, Neatimage and uploading a new version of Big Sur.

I reset Affinity so that the plugin did not appears in the filter menu, but this made no difference. 

I don't know if I've accidentally altered a setting, but it's a tool that I've used many, many times in the past with no problems.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,  Graham

A Live Perspective Layer can cause similar quirks

Do you have anything like that in your document?

Alternatively, can you upload the document for analysis?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• Staff
19 minutes ago, graham_t said:

I'm having a problem doing that. For some reason taking a screenshot doesn't show the brush circle or it's behaviour.

No need for a screenshot - just want to know if you are able to replicate it with a simple document with a pixel layer. If not can you please upload the afphoto file? Thank you.

I've just tried to use an older photo and it works fine. I'm going to do some experiments involving the grain reducing Neatimage plugin to see if this is causing a problem. I used to use it as a standalone and that caused no problems.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Well, that was strange. What seemed to have happened was that I put a negative the wrong way around in my scanner and therefore had to rotate the image to get it the right way up. I'm certain I've done that before, but without problems. Rescanning with the neg the correct way around then doing a little straightening gave me an image where the blemish removal brush worked fine. Very strange. Anyway I'll know in future to make certain the negs the right way round in the scanner. A simpler question. - how do you get crosswires instead of a circle for aligning blemish removal and other brushes?

Thanks for your help.

Graham

11 hours ago, graham_t said:

Well, that was strange. What seemed to have happened was that I put a negative the wrong way around in my scanner and therefore had to rotate the image to get it the right way up

That will indeed cause the issue you experienced. (Bug?)

A simpler solution to rescanning the negative would have been to Rasterise the layer after rotating it, which would have effectively reset the rotation to zero. This may be worth trying for any future rotated scans

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.