You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Elliptical marquee tool question

I'm almost embarrassed to ask this. I'm sure the answer is a simple one, but I'm stumped.

I'm working in Affinity Photo. I simply need to punch out a hole in a layer.

I have a blue colored layer on top of a white layer.

I need to punch out a circle in the blue layer so I see the white layer below.

In any other photo editing program I would simple drag out a circle on the blue layer with the elliptical marquee tool and then delete. Simple and logical as can be.

But I'm not getting anywhere with Affinity Photo.

I would appreciate any help. Thanks!

Hi I've just made two fill layers, the top layer is blue, I dragged out an elliptical marquee and simply pressed delete to punch a hole.

Another option which gives you more flexibility and the ability for adjustments is to create an elliptical shape and make it a child of the blue layer then change the elliptical shapes blend mode to erase. 

image.png.f449644c951d84951781038300c0583e.png

A few notes about the erase blend mode...

1. Untamed it's like Alien acid blood, it will burn through anything below it.
  2. In the example above the reason it doesn't burn through the white layer is because it is contained within the fill layer, so it will only affect anything below it that is contained within the blue fill layer, out side of the blue fill layer is safe.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

4 hours ago, ronald618 said:

I have a blue colored layer on top of a white layer.

If the blue coloured layer is a Rectangle or Fill Layer, you will need to select the layer and Rasterise it (from the right-click pop-up in the Layers panel) before deletion with the selection marquee will affect the pixels.

1199422906_Screenshot2021-05-04at10_09_24.thumb.png.24dd45fab0c5fd6bb9d640e9818f53aa.png     908914516_Screenshot2021-05-04at10_09_39.thumb.png.6c254c414d6acb749075ac7bbcf8a7f3.png

And when you've made sure that the blue layer is a pixel layer, you need to select it before deletion will have any effect.

If it's a rectangle, you could also draw a white ellipse over it and use Boolean subtract. You may not want to go there...

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.