You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Changing shape/curve with pen tool

Hi,

I changed letters (font) into curves and now I'd like the A to be without the horizontal line. Basically, I'd like to delete the 4 nodes but if I do that directly, it gives me a completely different result than the one I want. I tried to connect each pair of the nodes "vertically" so that then I could maybe delete the horizontal line and make it look as I want, but couldn't find a way to do this. I also tried to use the "Break Curve" function but it doesn't do what I want.

Is there an elegant and quick way to make the horizontal line of the letter A disappear? Or do I have to retrace the letter?

Thank you,

Barbara

Screen Shot 2021-05-03 at 15.17.44.png

Hi @BarbM,

Select the shape you got, "Divide".
With "Node Tool", select the two curves obtained, then select the four nodes you want to remove, "Break Curve".
Select one of the end nodes of one of the curves, take "Pen Tool", click in the contextual bar on "Add New Curve To Selected Curves Object" then double-click on the corresponding node of the other curve.
Do the same on the other side. Select the set, "Layer", "Geometry", "Merge Curves".

2021-05-03_160458.png

Hi @G13RL,

Thanks a lot for the quick reply! This did the trick visually, but now when I want to continue working with my A letter, I see the two middle nodes are still linked somehow. It also seems there's one node on top of another. But when I try to delete them, I get a similar thing than I did in the beginning. Is there a way to make the final letter A (without the horizontal line) technically the same as if I traced it, without the "rests" of the original A? So there would be no node in the middle of it at all. Here's a quick video:

41 minutes ago, PixelPest said:

My 1sec version:

aV.gif.e5bd61a00d2593e0c7ad831405484cf4.gif

I think this one wins 😆  👍  😆 

I could think of a few workarounds for what I was trying to do (not the ones suggested though!) but I want to learn Affinity better and I figured there must be a better, more elegant way to do it so that next time when I face a similar challenge, I'll be able to solve it in the same way. You guys all helped me with that in different ways 🙂

12 hours ago, BarbM said:

Hi @G13RL,

Thanks a lot for the quick reply! This did the trick visually, but now when I want to continue working with my A letter, I see the two middle nodes are still linked somehow. It also seems there's one node on top of another. But when I try to delete them, I get a similar thing than I did in the beginning. Is there a way to make the final letter A (without the horizontal line) technically the same as if I traced it, without the "rests" of the original A? So there would be no node in the middle of it at all. Here's a quick video:

Once you have added the two small curves, select the set, "Join Curves", then "Close Curves" and finish by removing the four center nodes from the inner legs.