You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[AD 1.9.2.1035] Weird things happening with positioning artboards

Weird things were happening with positioning artboards before in earlier versions, but that was mostly about floating vs integer positioning numbers. But now it really seems completly off to me. Please see video below.

@Serif: IMO positioning an artboard is basic functionality we should be able to rely on. Any chance this could get fixed in the near future?

[edit] Please note this behaviour has to do with the 'Enable Transform Origin' mode being enabled, when turned off it works as expected.

• Staff

Hi @wigglepixel,

This is expected. With Enable Transform Origin, the X and Y fields will operate on the control point. So, in your case, it's moving the centre of that artboard to 0. The canvas origin is determined by your artboard location, so when you move the artboards around you also move the (0,0) origin. 

9 hours ago, Gabe said:

Hi @wigglepixel,

This is expected. With Enable Transform Origin, the X and Y fields will operate on the control point. So, in your case, it's moving the centre of that artboard to 0. The canvas origin is determined by your artboard location, so when you move the artboards around you also move the (0,0) origin. 

Hi @Gabe

Thanks for your response. I would expect that, when setting the control point that is in the center of an artboard to (0,0), the artboard moves to (-half artboard width, -half artboard height). But it's not doing that.

Designer is not moving the control point to (0,0) when entering these values, but is changing the coordinate system instead and than adjusts locations of all artboards accordingly, making the artboard to move and this and all other artboards to get different locations instead.

This also makes precise working with coordinates impossible, as the coordinate system and all artboards on it changes every time we move an artboard before the first one.

In the video you can see that I repeatedly set the control point of an artboard to the exact same value: (0, something). But instead of the artboard to remain on the same spot after once setting this location (of the control point), it is moving not only its location in numbers, but also the coordinate system and the view around each time I set it to the exact same location. So that's not what we might expect and I wouldn't categorize this as expected behaviour. To me this is like when wanting to move a couch we don't move the couch, but the whole house around it instead and than correct the position of all other furniture to keep it on the same spot. 

Hope this makes sense and could get some love by the developers! 💓

• Staff
10 hours ago, wigglepixel said:

Designer is not moving the control point to (0,0) when entering these values, but is changing the coordinate system instead and than adjusts locations of all artboards accordingly, making the artboard to move and this and all other artboards to get different locations instead.

This is because the origin is not fixed in an artboard based document, but determined my the leftmost (for X) and uppermost (for Y) artboards. How does this interfere with your workflow? Artboards are just containers, and 99% of the work is done inside an artboard, where objects you put inside them will always use the top left corner of that very same artboard as X,Y - 0,0

A way to disable the origin points for Artboard would be good I think. Or a way to not remember the Origins, to reset it to default value or to be per object. And that White dot should be Grayed and to make the actual selected origin White. Because I don't see the point of being white if is not selected anymore, the selected one is still Gray and a litter bigger, but hard to notice it because of the White one.
And I notice that selected dot is not scaled to perfect pixel dimensions, is a little blurry on edges.

On 5/5/2021 at 9:15 AM, Gabe said:

This is because the origin is not fixed in an artboard based document, but determined my the leftmost (for X) and uppermost (for Y) artboards. How does this interfere with your workflow? Artboards are just containers, and 99% of the work is done inside an artboard, where objects you put inside them will always use the top left corner of that very same artboard as X,Y - 0,0

Hello Gabe,

Please read my previous posts, what you write was already there, so I refer you to those posts.
Asking me why I would like to use and trust absolutely positioning of artboards is kind of the other way around.
It's like a car dealer is asking you why you'd like to use the back door of your car when your back door is broken, and is saying; could you tell me why you're not entering via the front door that is working?!

It should just work. But it doesn't. I'd appreciate it if you could mention it to the developers. Thanks!