You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Caption boxes as assets create a new paragraph style each time they are inserted

I have created caption boxes with a specific paragraph style (Caption) which is also a style in the document. But when the asset is added to the document it forms a new paragraph style (Caption 1) and every time the Caption box asset is added thereafter it keeps adding a new style so that in the end I get a long list of new styles (Caption 1, Caption 2, Caption 3 etc)

Is there any way around this?

I can duplicate that if I create a caption box asset using a style called Caption, and subsequently make changes to the style.

The asset retains the settings for the original style, and rather than overwrite or update the newly edited Caption style it creates a new one every time I place the asset on the page.

I suspect this is intended as a helpful feature. The quickest way round it (assuming I've identified the problem you're having) would be to delete the original asset and create a new one.

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

I don't get either of those behaviors.

For me, when I add the asset to a new document that already has a paragraph text style named Caption, I get the frame added with the text style showing as Caption+, where the "+" incorporates any differences between the Caption that is defined in the document and the Caption that was assigned to the asset when it was created. So, for example, I get "Caption + Font: <original font name from asset>, Font Width: Normal".

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I set up the Paragraph Styles in a "Template" document, with the Assets using the same Caption Style. When I form a new document from the "Template" I get this behaviour. I  seem to have to set up the Assets in every new document to avoid the duplication of styles. We are using the Mac Desktop version of Affinity.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/3/2021 at 5:23 AM, h_d said:

I can duplicate that if I create a caption box asset using a style called Caption, and subsequently make changes to the style.

The asset retains the settings for the original style, and rather than overwrite or update the newly edited Caption style it creates a new one every time I place the asset on the page.

I suspect this is intended as a helpful feature. The quickest way round it (assuming I've identified the problem you're having) would be to delete the original asset and create a new one.

I have independently verified everything h_d has written here. This is exactly what causes the problem and also the fix.