You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

UPPERCASE, lowercase, Title case, Sentence case

Hi, I'm a new user
This feature is present on Illustrator and I believe it's used at least by 95% of the users most of the time. The versatility is huge and the good thing is, it can be reverted.
The Capitalization feature is unfortunately not useful.
Needs to be added in all 3 softwares.

On my way to abandon Adobe...

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

As the Capitalization feature offers all of those, at least in Publisher, it might be helpful if you told us more about why you find it "not useful".

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

14 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

As the Capitalization feature offers all of those, at least in Publisher, it might be helpful if you told us more about why you find it "not useful".

Yes in Publisher it works great. My post was a suggestion to implement that feature in all the 3 softwares. Designer needs that to be implemented too.

28 minutes ago, Houk van Lake said:

Yes in Publisher it works great.

Then:

1. File > Edit in Publisher
  2. do your edits
  3. File > Edit in Designer

That's how it’s meant to be done. "By design", as they say. ;) 

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

2 hours ago, Houk van Lake said:

Yes in Publisher it works great. My post was a suggestion to implement that feature in all the 3 softwares. Designer needs that to be implemented too.

If you have enough text to need that function, you might consider using Publisher instead. Or supplementing your use of Designer with occasional use of Publisher. But it is possible that Serif will expose that function in the Designer UI someday, I suppose.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

5 minutes ago, gabriel_komorov said:

All three apps allow you to work with text, so it's perfectly logical to include such basic feature in all of them, but... restricting features to one product just for sake of difference?

When is a feature a ‘basic’ feature? For a long time we could only add text on a path in Photo via workarounds (involving a macro or a Designer document) and the Bullets & Numbering feature is still only available in Publisher.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

10 minutes ago, gabriel_komorov said:

restricting features to one product just for sake of difference?

Yep. You can call it a "business strategy", for example. Completely legit, considering that Serif (Europe) Ltd. is a for-profit company. Selling additional licenses for us folks who need more features is a totally valid business model.

Hey, keep in mind that unlike those applications from the company that rhymes with schmadobe, Serif didn't charge us anything for bug fixes since 2014 (!) yet.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

Text>Capitalization is by nature a quick fix tool, usually to make a few sentences of caps text to lowercase. I usually copypaste text to Mail or Word to change capitalization and having to use Publisher roundtrip to do to same does not help any. So this handy tool should be available in Designer too direct. The menu position is identical to Publisher and there is plenty a room for it in submenu.

23 hours ago, Alfred said:

When is a feature a ‘basic’ feature?

This can't be defined obviously, but if you work in graphic design (or make a product targeted for graphic designers) some features are common sense. Beacuse otherwise why not restrict Bold and Italics modifiers just to Publisher? Are they "basic"?

23 hours ago, loukash said:

Yep. You can call it a "business strategy", for example. Completely legit, considering that Serif (Europe) Ltd. is a for-profit company.

Yeah, I get it but read my paragraph above. Let's revert this argument - take paint brush in Photo for example. It makes perfect sense in context of this app, not so much in Publisher.  But if you could do all sorts of edits to bitmap in Publisher, excluding paint brush, what would you say?

As side note - I think that separating Publisher and Designer, while it has it's benefits, isn't best startegy - due to weird compromises we talk right now.

7 minutes ago, gabriel_komorov said:

separating Publisher and Designer, while it has it's benefits, isn't best startegy - due to weird compromises we talk right now.

You're aware that Designer was the first app that Serif released, back in 2014?
Publisher came years later, officially released in 2019.

Whether it's the "best" strategy remains to be seen yet.
But it's essentially the same strategy that most other software companies – including that one "that rhymes with schmadobe" – are following as well.

The difference being that Serif did it better than the others: they also created a universal, "app agnostic" and a highly efficient document file format which doesn't care if its now being edited by Photo, Designer or Publisher, and regardless whether its suffix spells afphoto, afdesign or afpub.

5 hours ago, Fixx said:

this handy tool should be available in Designer too direct

Don't get me wrong: I wouldn't mind either!

But until that happens…

5 hours ago, Fixx said:

I usually copypaste text

If you're using a clipboard manager utility, some of them likely have those tools built in. This is from Keyboard Maestro (Mac only):

mac_km_clipboard_editing.png.e9178da9f6583bdb007e84676aff967b.png

^ As you can see, it also has tools to manipulate pixel content on the clipboard.

Also a great tool for Mac is WordService from Devon Technologies: devontechnologies.com/apps/freeware
But unfortunately it doesn't work with Affinity because Serif is using some custom text framework, so that the MacOS Services don't recognize a text selection in an Affinity document as text.

27 minutes ago, loukash said:

Duh... yes, I'm aware. Still they choose to create separate app instead put more feauters in Designer - what bring us to my argument about compromises.

I get aura of fanboism from you, but we're all here for reason - to discuss features, wishes, improvements and even voice our disappointments(!). It's not "all or nothing", you can aprreciate software and use it exclusively and sitll be disapointed with some decisions. 

7 minutes ago, gabriel_komorov said:

you can aprreciate software and use it exclusively and sitll be disapointed with some decisions

For a change, you should definitely read some of my "non-fanboi" posts where I'm bitching about some of Serif's most inexplicable Affinity failures. :P
forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?profile/23414-loukash/content/&all_activity=1

• 5 months later...

The bottom line for me is that Designer SHOULD have the Sentence case / Title Case / lower case etc options, end of story. As has been said above, the ability to use text should include all basic text features, which most definitely includes this! No one should have to swap software to do such a simple, quick edit. 

On 5/5/2021 at 1:15 PM, Alfred said:

When is a feature a ‘basic’ feature? For a long time we could only add text on a path in Photo via workarounds (involving a macro or a Designer document) and the Bullets & Numbering feature is still only available in Publisher.

I'm using bullets in Designer right now...? (Pic attached)

Bullets.thumb.jpg.1f0e3b5669a17611ace42b0b047b1591.jpg

On 5/6/2021 at 1:38 PM, loukash said:

First app or first app?? I have been using Serif software for... probably 12 years now, maybe more. I used PagePlus and DrawPlus for so long I have a lot of source files that I can only open in PP or DP and copy across to AFD or AFP with varying degrees of success. Anyway, not sure why the release dates are relevant to this thread?

15 hours ago, Catherine M Evans said:

not sure why the release dates are relevant to this thread?

Please re-read the post I was replying to.

• 1 year later...

I'm new to Publisher but an experienced DTP user.

I'm creating a doc on Affinity Publisher for iPad and have scoured the entire UI AND Help feature looking for a very common text function: CHANGE CASE.

There is no "Menu > Capitalization / Change Case" drop-down or any other form that lists Lower Case; Upper Case; Toggle Case; Title Case; Sentence Case

It's really frustrating searching for solutions in Affinity's forums, as so many answers often refer to ( or worse, don't specify their app device reference) the Desktop versions or OTHER iPad apps [ AF Designer or AF Photo ] when a SPECIFIC Affinity app on a SPECIFIC device answer is what's needed.

So...does Affinity Publisher for iPad have a Change Case feature?

If so, I would be extremely grateful if someone would PLEASE include a screen shot of where to find it‒ thanks.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.0 for macOS Sonoma 14.4, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

Thanks, MikeTO, for your offer of help...

As I had previously mentioned, I searched throughout the built-in HELP and found nothing that SPECIFICALLY shows a Lower Case; Upper Case; Toggle Case; Title Case; Sentence Case selection option (see screenshot below)

And WHY CHANGE Case  would be located in a section that configures Open Type-related settings is beyond logic. In all my previous DTP experience—from MS Word to PageMaker to Quark Xpress to Pages to In Design—I've never had to search far in any of them to find their basic text formatting functions...until Publisher.

image.png.41cfabc23fed544a2608e8fb03278da4.png

3 hours ago, Pedro Antonioso said:

found nothing that SPECIFICALLY shows a Lower Case; Upper Case; Toggle Case; Title Case; Sentence Case selection option (see screenshot below)

And WHY CHANGE Case  would be located in a section that configures Open Type-related settings is beyond logic.

The features you mention in the first quoted sentence are "word processor" rather than "layout" features.  It is pretty common for layout programs not to support them (at all).

With OpenType, small capitals support is implemented by the font itself, not by the host application.  So in a layout application, that's the primary place you will find any options for modifiying the choice of glyphs, including context sensitive capitalization.  So that's why that panel was mentioned.  Toggle case, title case, and sentence case are not something usually implemented in an OpenType font, so you won't find those features in that panel (or anywhere else in Publisher).

Thanks for your explanation...why then, does the Help feature list this? (see screenshot below) 

There's no "How to..." explanation of where "Persistent Transformations" (huh?) are configured—or how to access them.

image.thumb.png.993ac174f98d521d9496ae685f500c14.png

And in my opinion, as all those DTP programs I previously listed ( excluding Word, which IS primarily a word processor ) nevertheless STILL offer a CHANGE CASE function, it would equally serve Publishers users to have the same feature available.

2 hours ago, Pedro Antonioso said:

why then, does the Help feature list this? (see screenshot below) 

Well, I must correct myself.  Publisher evidently does have those features.  The "dynamic transformations" are implemented by setting or clearing OpenType properties, letting the font choose the glyphs (at least if the font supports small caps).  I don't know if AffPub does fake small caps for fonts that don't directly support them.  The "persistent transformations" are things AffPub does to permanently change your keystrokes.

2 hours ago, Pedro Antonioso said:

There's no "How to..." explanation of where "Persistent Transformations" (huh?) are configured—or how to access them.

In the V1/V2 Windows AffPub help, there is a reference near the top of that help page to the Text > Capitalization menu, and the features are indeed found there.  No idea what the iPad interface looks like.

10 hours ago, Pedro Antonioso said:

And WHY CHANGE Case  would be located in a section that configures Open Type-related settings is beyond logic.

The Help that @MikeTO referred you to is not talking about the area you've provided the screenshot for. That is, the function he mentioned is not part of the OpenType processing.

However, having said that, I must admit that I cannot find that Capitalisation function in the iPad version of Publisher 2. @MikeTO: Have you found it in the app, and if so where?

-- Walt
PC:

• Staff
14 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I must admit that I cannot find that Capitalisation function in the iPad version of Publisher 2.

I'm not currently certain which is correct, the helpfile seems to indicate these should be present (and personally I would expect them to be) however from my testing it doesn't appear as though these options are available in the app, though it may be the helpfile which is wrong.

I'll be logging this with our developers now and I will be sure to update this thread, with any further information I am provided :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)