You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi, everyone. I'm new to digital photography. I have Affinity Photo but I don't know how to use it.

I'm trying to create a shaped image within a photo program to be turned opaque and then colored so as to cover the background layer. I don't understand the terminology or the techniques well enough to describe much more than that. I'm imagining that this is possible and simple enough to do, but what language should I be using to find the right tutorial online? Is there a best practice for doing this sort of process within an editing program?

Welcome to the fourms @Sunshine82

There are probably lots of different ways to do what you want but we might need more details about what you are trying to do and what you want to do it for. Different requirements sometimes require different techniques.
It sounds like you want to place a shape of some kind over a portion of the document (which may or may not have some transparency) and then do something with it regarding colouring/opacity but I can’t be sure.
What you want to do could be very easy to do – I have a few guesses already – but I would prefer to know the details before giving suggestions as my guesses may not be anything like what you want.

Thanks for the help @GarryP!

Yes, I would like to create an opaque shape on a layer above my photo layer. I would like to create that shape and color it within Affinity Photo, if possible. The contents of the layer above my underlying photo layer will just be the single shape (imagine a big blank circle covering someone's face, for example). Hopefully that gives you more context?

Edited by Sunshine82
update info

On 5/2/2021 at 7:28 PM, Sunshine82 said:

I have Affinity Photo but I don't know how to use it.

The really, really best way to start is to watch the excellent Affinity tutorials:
affinity.serif.com/tutorials/photo/desktop/category/basics

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

4 hours ago, Sunshine82 said:

(imagine a big blank circle covering someone's face, for example).

Very easy to do: just select the Ellipse Tool & draw an ellipse over the face. Give it any fill color you want.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thanks for sharing, @Lukáš. I'll definitely check those tutorials out when I have a chance.

So I'm following the process, @R C-R, but how do you fill a layer or shape with color? In my attached photo, you'll see that I have things grouped. Perhaps that's a mistake? Is there a best practice about that? The Pixel heart layer is the shape that I'd like to color. Thanks for the help!

1797471113_Screenshot2021-05-07at19_54_00.png.b0c3edfac31b2e100e8cf7eb074d495e.png

Just now, Sunshine82 said:

Thanks for sharing, @Lukáš.

Just for the record, @Lukáš is not me, although I obviously share the same first name with the other user.
If you want to "ping" me, you must use my user name "@loukash".

2 minutes ago, Sunshine82 said:

The Pixel heart layer is the shape that I'd like to color.

If you need a heart, check out the Heart shape vector tool: 💙

Other than that: Edit > Fill
Or: Flood Fill tool
Or: a brush
Or: layer effects > Color overlay

Many possibilites to get the more or less the same result.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2