You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello mosmos0789

Welcome to the forums!

Once you have converted to curves, use the Expand Stroke option which can be found under the Layers tab. You should find that this will give you access to more nodes on the curve. 

We are currently looking at improving this in the future. :)

Jack

Hello mosmos0789

Welcome to the forums!

Once you have converted to curves, use the Expand Stroke option which can be found under the Layers tab. You should find that this will give you access to more nodes on the curve. 

We are currently looking at improving this in the future. :)

Jack

I found the Expand Stroke button, but it doesn't work :(. So i paste the curves to illustrator and make it to shapes.

• Staff

Hi mosmos0789,

How do you have created the stroke? It's an Outline FX effect? The Layer Effects are raster based so they can't be converted to paths (or expanded).

Can you attach the file here so i can take a look?

Here's how to attach a file/image in the forums just in case.

Hi mosmos0789,

How do you have created the stroke? It's an Outline FX effect? The Layer Effects are raster based so they can't be converted to paths (or expanded).

post-20310-0-51415800-1445419860_thumb.png

Thanks for your patient. Here's the image for example. I just want to make the left shape to the right one ( may be called OUTLINE? ).

In illustrator , it is so easy to do that. I want to do the same thing in Affinity Designer.

• Staff

Hi mosmos0789,

No problem. The process is as JFisher described, simply select the circle and go to menu Layer ▸ Expand Stroke, but currently the Expand Stroke command creates superfluos nodes that is, it's doesn't use just four nodes as Illustrator. This will be improved in a future update.

I was referring to attach the afdesign file, so i can see how you have created the stroke.

• Staff

Hi Oval,

:D Yes, they will be "improved" but it may still take a while. There's currently other things taking priority (like artboards).

@mosmos0789,

Thanks for the file. If you want to convert the logo to shapes, drag a marquee selection around all letters with the Move Tool, then go to menu Layer ▸ Expand Stroke.

Let me know if you still have trouble.

• 8 months later...

Those are bitmap (raster) image file formats that can not contain vector shapes. The "Convert to Curves" feature in Affinity only works on vector shapes (rectangles, circles, the many special shapes like stars, & so on). What you want is often called bitmap tracing, & is not supported in Affinity.

It is an often requested feature but the staff have said it will not appear in an update to version 1.x. So it is at least a year away & probably part of a paid upgrade to version 2.x if/when it is implemented.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 2 years later...
On 10/21/2015 at 5:19 AM, MEB said:

Hi mosmos0789,

@MEB So if I have some text,  and give it an outline using Layer Effects, you're saying theres no way to "expand" the outline and be able to export the object into a vector with the outline baked in? Cause that's what's happening to me, but I assumed I was doing something wrong. Didn't realize the layer effects are raster based...

You can convert the text to curves, Add an Outline Stroke, adjusting the mitre to get sharp points and Expand the Outline Stroke.

You can increment the Mitre value by 0.1 by holding down Alt and using the arrow keys or if you have a mouse wheel scrolling that. 

1236176272_ScreenShot2018-08-28at07_07_16.png.70a1a51e07d3e36234e41e0b7e8a90d4.png280194943_ScreenShot2018-08-28at07_08_01.png.6930bad51f0bf212fcfa38822de0ebd0.png

When you convert the text to curves it will group them, you will have to select all of the layers within that group in order to expand the strokes on each letter

Layers within the Group selected
2080685215_ScreenShot2018-08-28at07_04_21.png.fb16beae484edbc675d2d7c67303f49a.png

Stroke expanded
972504361_ScreenShot2018-08-28at07_04_51.png.50990a893e902bf6b173a7d7bedccc5a.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• 11 months later...

Welcome here, ZDalton.

23 hours ago, ZDalton said:

Is it possible to do the opposite?

Would only work exactly with some objects (One way is to use snapping together with guides to scale a duplicate). But you could make a feature request.