You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Possible to reduce file size when exporting music score (all vector) to SVG

I am importing music from Sibelius or Logic to Affinity Designer. All layers are vector curves. I want to show these as very high res on a web page, so I assumed that SVG would work well to retain the best quality vs file size.

However a single page of very simple music exported to SVG is approx 300kb which is bigger than the same page exported to PNG. It is also larger than the actual affinity file (attached) which seems a bit odd.

Is this inevitable given the huge number of different vector curves involved, or does anyone please know of a way to get the exported SVG significantly smaller (<100kb or less would be nice). Changing the document dimensions makes no difference.

Thanks you.

Affinity file attached.

scales.afdesign

@Mr Lucky

I don't have or use Logic but I do have Sibelius Ultimate.

Is there any reason why you do not export from Sibelius as .pdf?

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

1 hour ago, emmrecs01 said:

Is there any reason why you do not export from Sibelius as .pdf?

We are exporting from Sibelius as PDF. That is the product we are selling. But we want to show extracts on the web page (also as Woocommerce featured image and image gallery) and we cannot do that with PDF.

So we are currently exporting to png in order to display as images, but I was hoping to display as SVG to get better quality and/or smaller file sizes. SVG is better quality obviously, but for music scores they seem to be very large file sizes, presumably dueb to the sheer amount of curves involved. I have had good success embedding simpler SVGs at tiny file sizes. 

So I was wondering if there is a way to get the music pages exporting more efficiently.

SVG do embed on Wordpress featured image up to a point, but do not work when hovering over in order to zoom in on the detail.

18 minutes ago, Mr Lucky said:

But we want to show extracts on the web page (also as Woocommerce featured image and image gallery) and we cannot do that with PDF.

Can I ask why you cannot do this with pdf?  Is it because you are concerned that visitors to your website might be able to download these files, rather than buying them?  If you are showing only extracts, can you not either create exports of only those extracts, or even make screenshots of some pages from the pdf?

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

1 hour ago, emmrecs01 said:

Can I ask why you cannot do this with pdf?

The PDF files from Sibelius are quite large. I was hoping to be able to make them sammler by exporting to SVG.

They do work as featured image, butthe only way to show them on a worpress pages seems to be via the PDF embedder plugin, which I don't like the look of. And again we can reduce the size by using PNG. I was just hoping that we could also reduce the size via SVG.