You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher file compatibility between Mac and Windows

Hi

Have a client who wants to be able to make last minute copy changes to a newsletter designed by me, she has a Mac, I use Windows 10.

Will Affinity Publisher allow cross platform editing without disturbing the integrity, layout and font metrics of the page design?

Deal is I would email her the finished design with copy placeholders, and she would swap placeholder text with new copy.

If file integrity is possible, I'd buy a copy of the program for both platforms.

Thanks in advance

Tom Scott.

I believe that files are completely interchangeable between the two platforms. I've opened .afpub files uploaded to these forums from both, and both have worked. Buy, buy, buy... 😃

(Or get the 90-day free trial and give it a whirl before you do.)

EDIT: as long as you both have the same fonts...

Edited by h_d
added 'free'

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

The installed fonts will be the biggest issue, and the version of the fonts.

Exporting a Package file, and zipping the .afpackage and the images and fonts directory may be safest. Of course, you need to make sure the fonts you've used have licenses that allow you to share them that way.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks for the information, no problem on the fonts, we will stick to Google fonts for consistency with the web platform, what she doesn't have I'll load for her.

What's the learning curve on Affinity Publisher? What are the quirks?

Have years with Photoshop and CorelDraw, somewhat less with InDesign, none are perfect, but doesn't that make life interesting.

Appreciate the prompt assistance.

Best Regards

Tom S.

18 hours ago, Thomas.Scott said:

Thanks for the information, no problem on the fonts, we will stick to Google fonts for consistency with the web platform, what she doesn't have I'll load for her.

What's the learning curve on Affinity Publisher? What are the quirks?

Have years with Photoshop and CorelDraw, somewhat less with InDesign, none are perfect, but doesn't that make life interesting.

Appreciate the prompt assistance.

Best Regards

Tom S.

Welcome to the forums☺️  If you (and possibly your client) can spend a little time watching the official Affinity tutorials for Publisher (see the topic above, “A Guide to Learning Affinity Software”) you should become comfortable with its basics quite easily.  At that point if you are stuck, do ask your questions here in the forums.  There are many very experienced people who will be glad to help you, I am certain.  And no question is a silly one.  I should know, because they have rescued me over and over again!

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9