You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

APhoto Pattern Layer -- selection/spacing issue

What I'm trying to do is create a pattern of a shape that repeats.  It needs to have space between the repeated shapes, unlike for a typical repeating tile.

I can't seem to figure out how to make this happen, because I can't get my selection to include the entire canvas area of a layer.  So I have a shape in my source file.  I've expanded the canvas to provide the buffer I need.  I want to create a pattern layer from this to copy and paste into my destination file.  But no matter what I do, I can't get the program to select/create a pattern layer from the entire layer and not just the single object in the layer.  I've tried "select all," I've manually created a rectangular selection of the entire space, etc., and no matter what I have showing as selected, when it creates the pattern it includes only the shape itself.  (The background is transparent.)

Consequently, when I tile this pattern, the shapes are all butted up against each other, which isn't what I want.

Am I missing something?  Is there a workaround?

Does the attached show the kind of result you want to achieve?

8B5847E1-08EE-4B50-96E0-9FF2024A40C0.jpeg

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

One method I have found – and it’s cheating a bit – is to create the ‘frame’ with a very low Opacity (1%) and then Rasterize before using the result in a Pattern Layer – see attached video
This might not be good if you need things to be perfect – the 1% colour may interfere with other things – but it’s probably okay for most basic purposes.

If anyone can tell me how to rasterise something while keeping all of the transparent parts – even round the outsides – I’d be interested in hearing that as I just can’t figure out how to do it, after many attempts in many different ways.

8 hours ago, a2jc4life said:

Roughly, yes.

Only roughly? Please tell us more!

Alfred spacer.png

Only the details differ!  (It looks like yours is on the diagonal, for instance.)

I was able to "hack" my immediate project because the background is to be solid, so I just included the background in the pattern, but I would have preferred to be able to swap it out, so I'm hoping to sort out for next time whether I have other options for maintaining the transparency.  This is an example of what I made.  I wanted the white star to be its own layer, that I could place it over different colored backgrounds.  (The texture is an overlay added later.)
image.png.3afb676d5c448ac3aff4c364e982db9c.png

Download and open the attached *.afphoto file, select the Star layer and ‘Merge Down’ via the Layers panel’s context menu. Choose the Move Tool if you want to resize and/or rotate the star.

Star-Pattern.afphoto

Alfred spacer.png

3 hours ago, Alfred said:

Download and open the attached *.afphoto file, select the Star layer and ‘Merge Down’ via the Layers panel’s context menu. Choose the Move Tool if you want to resize and/or rotate the star.

So the trick is to create an empty pattern layer of the desired dimensions below the shape & then use Merge Down to retain the dimensions of the pattern layer?

I never would have figured that out on my own. ☹️

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

9 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I never would have figured that out on my own. ☹️

I’m not even terribly sure how I discovered it! :o

Alfred spacer.png

25 minutes ago, Alfred said:

I’m not even terribly sure how I discovered it! :o

I am glad you did. It makes the AP pattern feature much more useful to me ... almost as useful as if it worked with vector objects without rasterizing them. (You don't know of any tricks to do that do you?)

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

46 minutes ago, R C-R said:

So the trick is to create an empty pattern layer of the desired dimensions below the shape & then use Merge Down to retain the dimensions of the pattern layer?

Thinking back, I did it the other way around: I created a pattern layer before I had even drawn any shapes, and then played with various ideas to see how to get a shape into the pattern layer. Because the Help on pattern layers tells you to draw with a Pixel Brush it looked as though I would need a raster object, so I initially rasterized my test shape, but that turned out to be unnecessary.

9 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I am glad you did. It makes the AP pattern feature much more useful to me ... almost as useful as if it worked with vector objects without rasterizing them. (You don't know of any tricks to do that do you?)

The star in my ‘Star-Pattern’ file isn’t rasterized.

Alfred spacer.png

3 minutes ago, Alfred said:

True, but after I used Merge Down it became part of the (Pattern) layer and as such I could not find a way to change it using vector or shape tools, only raster ones.

Affinity Photo 

12 minutes ago, Alfred said:

5 minutes ago, R C-R said:

True, but after I used Merge Down it became part of the (Pattern) layer and as such I could not find a way to change it using vector or shape tools, only raster ones.

I’m afraid I hadn’t understood what you were getting at. I found the same, sadly.

Alfred spacer.png

7 minutes ago, a2jc4life said:

I do think that a pattern layer is inherently a raster layer.

Sadly, it seems so. Maybe in the future it will support vector shapes ... about the same time we get true vector brushes maybe?  :72_imp:

Affinity Photo