You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Colour format when exporting in jpg from Affinity Designer

Earlier today I posted two questions in the following thread, it is the first post on page 5.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/138654-artwork-for-greetings-cards/page/5/#comments

I posted it there because the questions relate to something earlier n the thread on pages 3 and 4 of that thread.

No replies there as yet so I am duplicating the post here.

----

Saturday 1 May 2021

Two issues that have been puzzling me. Can anyone help please?

First issue.

Papier (needs/prefers) CMYK at 300 dots per inch.

Thinking back to when I produced the artwork for the card with the software unicorns I could not remember choosing CMYK, and checking now on a copy of the .afdesign file, I cannot find anywhere in the export facility that appears to give me a choice.

Yet it is entirely possible that the original gif file was rgb colours - but I do not actually know.

So is a jpg file automatically always by definition CMYK?

The hardcopy print is fine. So whatever happened regarding the colours, either they were fine as sent or the Papier system did what was needed.

Second issue.

Also, I am wondering, if an rgb image file from outside is placed in an Affinity Designer document, and a CMYK output is requested in some format, does Affinity Designer do whatever is necessary, or is a placed image sent out as it was placed, or is the action selectable?

William

----

The issue is that if one places a gif file, or a png, that is encoded using rgb and one no longer has access to the original source file, and one wishes to export a jpg from Affinity Designer, then is that possible and if so how please.

The company Papier mentioned in the posts has various products, the product relevant to this question is the printing one off custom greetings card from user supplied artwork - they are high quality, I send them to myself and frame them as art.

https://www.papier.com/

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

8 minutes ago, William Overington said:

Earlier today I posted two questions in the following thread, it is the first post on page 5.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/138654-artwork-for-greetings-cards/page/5/#comments

I posted it there because the questions relate to something earlier n the thread on pages 3 and 4 of that thread.

No replies there as yet so I am duplicating the post here.

----

Saturday 1 May 2021

Two issues that have been puzzling me. Can anyone help please?

First issue.

Papier (needs/prefers) CMYK at 300 dots per inch.

Thinking back to when I produced the artwork for the card with the software unicorns I could not remember choosing CMYK, and checking now on a copy of the .afdesign file, I cannot find anywhere in the export facility that appears to give me a choice.

Yet it is entirely possible that the original gif file was rgb colours - but I do not actually know.

So is a jpg file automatically always by definition CMYK?

The hardcopy print is fine. So whatever happened regarding the colours, either they were fine as sent or the Papier system did what was needed.

Second issue.

Also, I am wondering, if an rgb image file from outside is placed in an Affinity Designer document, and a CMYK output is requested in some format, does Affinity Designer do whatever is necessary, or is a placed image sent out as it was placed, or is the action selectable?

William

----

The issue is that if one places a gif file, or a png, that is encoded using rgb and one no longer has access to the original source file, and one wishes to export a jpg from Affinity Designer, then is that possible and if so how please.

The company Papier mentioned in the posts has various products, the product relevant to this question is the printing one off custom greetings card from user supplied artwork - they are high quality, I send them to myself and frame them as art.

https://www.papier.com/

William

Hi William,

not sure if i fully understood your questions. I hope this might help:

1. You can change the color format of a document in designer by File>Document Setup>Color. By Default, it will be used for every export.
  2. You can change the color format - for export only - in File>Export>More>Pixel Format (may be combined with ICC Profile)
  3. Regarding your second question, i think Designer will convert the color format on the fly into the document format for you.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

12 minutes ago, William Overington said:

image.png.1411105b77fd75f7f01260cd6748ac55.png

16 minutes ago, William Overington said:

Second issue.

Depends on the file output format. PDF files can have embedded pieces with different color formats. Image files (JPG, TIFF, PNG) can't.

17 minutes ago, William Overington said:

How was the file "placed"? Was it Embedded or Linked? (Presumably Embedded, as it if were Linked you still must have access to the source file or your Designer file is broken.)

What kind of layer does it show as now in the Designer Layers panel? (Image) or (Pixel)?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1