You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to remove unwanted downloaded fonts

Hopefully there is a solution to this annoying problem. I just last night discovered thousands of new fonts on google and happily downloaded lots of them. Well, later l happened to find out that that they are for private use only. I am designing a logo for a charity and need something more interesting font wise than what Affinity has on offer but now have these nice freshly downloaded fonts on my font menu doing nothing. I since discovered that there are free fonts one can use commercially so l want some those instead. I also design greetings cards and would love to use some new hand written style fonts. The frustration overload now leaves me drained as l have tried to search for advice everywhere but none is forthcoming. There is nothing written about this for people who have Affinity on Windows(10). I simply wish to get rid of all the useless fonts and replace them by free fonts l can use. I found one peace of advice on font removal ( C:\Windows\Fonts) but this only deals with the fonts already installed in Windows so they can stay there. I can delete the surplus fonts from the files but they still sit on the font menu annoyingly and take lot of space. I am sure many people would like to find out how to manage this problem.

Grateful for any info on this, thanks!

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

The Affinity applications use the fonts installed in your system. So, to remove them from your Affinity fonts menu you need to uninstall them from your system.

On Windows, you would open the Windows Control Panel, search for Font (which should show the Font Settings), and then locate each font you want to uninstall, and click on it. Then click Uninstall.

If you're on Mac, this might help: https://support.apple.com/guide/font-book/remove-disable-or-enable-fonts-fntb2bcb512d/mac

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, Frustration Central said:

I can delete the surplus fonts from the files but they still sit on the font menu annoyingly and take lot of space.

If you delete the files from your Windows Fonts folder they’ll no longer be available for loading but they may still be in your running apps’ font caches. Close and reopen your Affinity app(s) and then check the font list again: if the deleted fonts are still there, restart your PC.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

To Walt and Alfred, thank you for your prompt answers. However, I did not have a problem with Windows fonts but specifically mentioned the fonts which l have downloaded from google's free fonts sites. I know how to uninstall Windows fonts as l already have explained.  Was really hoping to find an answer but no joy. I deleted all fonts that l had downloaded from google, those that are not for commercial use. They disappeared from the download file but are still visible in AP font list and are working too. Meanwhile l shut down the computer for a while but they are still there. Not much use if l can only use them when l'm making birthday cards for the family. I suggest that you download a font from one of those sites and then try to get rid of it, then you know why that is problematic. And if you can work out how to then please tell me, thanks!

I decided to download new commercial free fonts  and make a list of them in AP, print it and hang the paper on the wall so l can choose what l want without getting mixed up with the fonts that are only for private use. This seems to be the only way to deal with the problem.

Thanks all the same for your time and advice.

I'm not sure if this is an option on Windows, but on macOS you can set fonts as Favourites and then display just the Favourites from font drop-down menus.

Toolbar:

772348142_Screenshot2021-05-01at18_07_06.png.ca34dd22521af62004531aa5b1a11578.png

184635752_Screenshot2021-05-01at18_08_04.png.f0d3d5135b9a27bbfd005d1e3a1af8fe.png

It means you don't have to scroll through masses of unwanted fonts (which is an issue/bug on macOS for different reasons...) and you don't need a printed list.

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

9 minutes ago, Frustration Central said:

To Walt and Alfred, thank you for your prompt answers. However, I did not have a problem with Windows fonts but specifically mentioned the fonts which l have downloaded from google's free fonts sites.

In order to use the downloaded fonts they had to be installed, at which point they became "Windows fonts".  Are you saying the unwanted fonts are appearing in AP but Windows doesn't show them as available to uninstall?

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

11 minutes ago, Frustration Central said:

To Walt and Alfred, thank you for your prompt answers. However, I did not have a problem with Windows fonts but specifically mentioned the fonts which l have downloaded from google's free fonts sites. I know how to uninstall Windows fonts as l already have explained.

Walt and I weren’t referring to the fonts supplied with Windows, we were referring to any installed fonts (including those from Google Fonts) that are available for use within programs running on your Windows computer. If you uninstall them it’s impossible for Windows to load them when you restart your PC.

15 minutes ago, Frustration Central said:

I deleted all fonts that l had downloaded from google, those that are not for commercial use.

From where did you delete them? If you only deleted the downloaded files, the fonts themselves will still be installed.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Hi again,

I did check this ( C:\Windows\Fonts) and all fonts there have a date, probably when windows was installed on the machine and that was couple of years ago, this is a second hand computer. There are none of the newly installed fonts to uninstall. They are only now on AP dropdown list of fonts. A said earlier, l removed them from a the download file but they still show and work on AP.  Had they become Windows fonts at the act of installation they should show in C:\Windows\Fonts but none is there. And yes, l did install them following the instructions, 'click on 'install', simples. Please someone do just that, download a font from 'DaFont' and see if you can remove it from the AP dropdown list, then this conversation will go somewhere, at the moment there is all kind of well meant advice but nobody seems to be interested in trying to actually perform the test. I simply would like to hear how it did go. 

Thanks again

24 minutes ago, Frustration Central said:

Had they become Windows fonts at the act of installation they should show in C:\Windows\Fonts but none is there. And yes, l did install them following the instructions, 'click on 'install', simples.

If this means you installed the fonts using the Install button in the Windows Font Viewer application
the fonts were installed in your user font folder.
C:\Users\USER_NAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Fonts

USER_NAME should be your user name.

You should not be "un-installing" fonts by deleting font files.
Use the Windows font manager in the Control Panel to properly un-install fonts.
That should remove the font files and remove the font entries from the Windows Registry.

Do this while the Affinity apps are closed.
That way when the Affinity apps restart they will rebuild their font cache - minus the un-installed fonts.

9 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

The Affinity applications use the fonts installed in your system. So, to remove them from your Affinity fonts menu you need to uninstall them from your system.

On Windows, you would open the Windows Control Panel, search for Font (which should show the Font Settings), and then locate each font you want to uninstall, and click on it. Then click Uninstall.

If you're on Mac, this might help: https://support.apple.com/guide/font-book/remove-disable-or-enable-fonts-fntb2bcb512d/mac

Tried the ' On Windows....Control panel etc...click Uninstall.'  When l click on a font there nothing happens, l think something is not working with the computer.. (In Word clicking on Layout makes nothing happen either, strange behaviours.) Also, none of the installed fonts were  there to be uninstalled, however, l wanted to uninstall some Chinese looking fonts that l will never use but as the clicking on them did not work l had to leave them in.  Had enough of this now, shall print the guide paper and forget the problem, l have a logo to design. Thanks.

16 minutes ago, LibreTraining said:

If this means you installed the fonts using the Install button in the s
the fonts were installed in your user font folder.
C:\Users\USER_NAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Fonts

USER_NAME should be your user name.

You should not be "un-installing" fonts by deleting font files.
Use the Windows font manager in the Control Panel to properly un-install fonts.
That should remove the font files and remove the font entries from the Windows Registry.

Do this while the Affinity apps are closed.
That way when the Affinity apps restart they will rebuild their font cache - minus the un-installed fonts.

Solved, found simple instructions on google: Windows+E and found the downloaded files and uninstalled them, they also disappeared from AP font list, happy days. 

Thanks for your time.

14 hours ago, Alfred said:

If you delete the files from your Windows Fonts folder they’ll no longer be available for loading but they may still be in your running apps’ font caches. Close and reopen your Affinity app(s) and then check the font list again: if the deleted fonts are still there, restart your PC.

Very true. But as much as I criticise a lot of stuff within Affinity's apps, their font cache handling is pretty awesome on Windows 10. Disabling and enabling fonts, even hundreds of fonts in a group at once via Fontbase, immediately causes an update of the font cache in the Affinity apps. Even better, the apps notify the user about this with a pop-up. I've rarely seen any app which handles fonts (de-)activation on-the-go as well as Affinity's.

»A designer's job is to improve the general quality of life. In fact, it's the only reason for our existence.«
Paul Rand (1914-1996)

Does Affinity even install any fonts?  

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

4 hours ago, firstdefence said:

Does Affinity even install any fonts?  

The desktop versions don't.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 minute ago, walt.farrell said:

The desktop versions don't.

Thanks for the clarification Walt, I kind of assumed they didn't but wasn't 100% sure.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions