You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

"Paper cut out" Can this be done with photo's also?

Hi there. Yes I'm completely new to this all, so I hope you forgive me asking questions that is obvious for the most of you. I tried search this in the forum. But until now I can't find it and probably use the wrong keywords.

I like those nifty little scenes that look like paper cut outs. I know a little how to that in procreate (Ipad) but wanted to do it on my my desktop computer in Affinity Photo or Designer. I have yet to learn how to do that in these programs. My question however is:     can this also be done with cut-outs from photo's I bring in on the canvas. With shadows between each cut out layer. I want to cut pieces from photos and lay them on different layers, just like those paper cut out scenes. Maybe some one can point me in the right direction. These little projects are fun to do and learn how to do things. Thank you.

Yain

If you can show us (image, link, etc.) what you mean by “those nifty little scenes” or “those paper cut scenes” then you will probably get answers that are closer to what you need. Otherwise people will have to guess, and you might not get what you want.
Remember, we have no way of knowing what you have been looking at unless you show us.

The answer is yes, but as Garryp mentions it helps to give a visual example. 

this should help you in your quest for 3D cutout nirvana... https://ssdvisual.uk/static/tutorials/paper-cutout-effect-with-affinity-photo-and-free-project/ the principle is the same, so you can erase part of an image and have images below.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

In addition to the advice above, I’ve attached a quickly-done (a few minutes’ work) example (image and AFPHOTO document).
I cheated a bit by using Designer to add the corners on the ‘frames’ (I’m not good with drawing nice curves) and I used some clip-art, but you get the idea.
The more effort you put into it the better the result will be.

cut-paper-scene.png

cut-paper-scene.afphoto

Thanks Garry.....very nice example. Thank you. 👍

But I think I did not use the correct words to explain. English is not my first language you see. Frisian is, and then dutch  and english.

When I used the word "photo's" I did not mean to say the name of the program (affinity) photo, but photo as in picture. I want to do the same as with the paper but then use pictures (photo's) in stead. I have not seen that done...it's just an idea I wanted to know if that is possible and if yes, how?

3 hours ago, Yainderidoo said:

I wanted to know if that is possible and if yes, how?

If you mean this sort of thing, then yes, it's possible. Here's a crude and inexpert example:

collager.png.686bcdc38d2391446d9fb197f79f7e0c.png

I created a new document. The plain background is a fill layer with a paper texture over it, the blend mode on the paper is set to Linear Burn.

The moss is a placed image, rasterised, then a hole cut into it by dragging out a rough shape with the Freehand Selection Tool and deleting the selection.

The dog statue and the mushrooms are placed images, rasterised, and cut out using the Selection Brush Tool. They're layered behind the moss. I duplicated the moss layer, dragged it above the dog and deleted an area of moss around the dog's head so it appears the dog is over the moss at the top and under the moss at the bottom.

I also applied some very rough Outer Shadow and 3D effects to the image layers.

1683736056_Screenshot2021-05-02at23_05_32.png.1065f4bf8a988c2eb0dc986a44abc4bb.png

I know, it looks rubbish. A better artist would make a better job.

montage.afphoto

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.