You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi, I am looking for some help on how to draw a cylinder on the Front or Side plane of an isometric grid. 

All of the examples and how-to's I have seen so far are explained on the Top plane which I can easily reproduce. 

Drawing and aligning the two ellipses on either the Front or the Side plane is not my problem. The issue is only on how to draw and align the rectangle between the two ellipses.

I am struggling to achieve this, so any help preferably a short video would be appreciated.

Edited by basilic
wording, corrected pane by plane instead

-macOS Ventura - Affinity Suite v2.2.1

I’ve attached a short (quickly done) video showing one way to create an isometric cylinder (the ‘flashes’ of context menu near the middle are just mistakes, you don’t need to replicate those).
I’m sure that there will be other ways.
If this isn’t what you want then you might need to show us an example.

Thanks. Working in the Top Plane is OK. My issue is when working on the Front (or Side) Plane. Doing a green cylinder working in the Top Plane is OK. I can't manage drawing a purple cylinder when working in the Front Plane. I don't know how to draw the rectangle and where any snapping or alignment guide must be. See attached.

image.thumb.png.ac90c3d297553dc27a4768a5a9b9e09c.png

Isometric Cylinder.afdesign

Ensure that both ellipses are truly aligned to the isometric grid (the lighter one is a bit off in your original) , and use the Transform panel to rotate the rectangle 60º. (180º-isometric angle of 120º). 

1992884057_Screenshot2021-05-01at14_51_53.png.35185e2e370cfbb69c753c7366f23265.png

Isometric Cylinder.afdesign

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

For the side, the rotation is 120º

370498823_Screenshot2021-05-01at15_00_48.png.97ff47bfb21ccc9a6dcf3860e0a5155f.png

NB for my Front and Side rectangles I turned off Edit in Plane in the Isometric panel so there is no shear on the rectangle.

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

OK thanks very much for the maths. As far as I managed to replicate what you've done and I finally managed to find the trick.

1. With the Front Plane activated, effectively draw a rectangle with a rotation of 60° and snap it to the grid like that to make to correct height of the cylinder

image.thumb.png.90de9d4f447d42304278039f92cb1b86.png

2. Then for the width adjustment of the rectangle to the edge of the top and the bottom ellipses, there's no way to be guided by the grid snap. It's an eye adjustment... unless switching to the Side Plane to ease the edge alignment.

image.thumb.png.e9fa26eb16ea1ec7e2b366779939c1bb.png

I haven't tested: I assume that for a cylinder on the Side Plane the width of the rectangle (step 2) must done after changing the Plane to Front.

When working with the Top Plane, this cylinder build is fully controllable by the grid snapping during all steps without switching to another Plane to make any adjustments.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks again for your help.

Edited by basilic
issue with screenshots, re-uploaded

I used Side 

14 minutes ago, basilic said:

I assume that for a cylinder on the Side Plane the width of the rectangle (step 2) must done after changing the Plane to Front.

It helps with snapping to the grid, yes. But you could also snap to Object boundaries. The crucial thing is not to select Fit to Plane or Edit in Plane in the Isometric panel.

OK even simpler:

To draw a cylinder on the Front Plane:

- Switch to the Front Plane, Draw and Adjust 2 ellipses, Snap them as required.

- Switch to the Side Plane, Draw a rectangle, Transform it with a rotation of 60°, Make width and height adjustments with the help of the grid snapping, to the center and the edges of the ellipses.

Effectively, for step 2, avoid Edit in Plane to draw the rectangle (that doesn't make it!) and then place rectangle using boundaries and centers of the ellipses.

But to get object boundaries for snapping the rectangle to the ellipses, you have to change the Plane to Side, otherwise you never get the visual snap guides.

Edited by basilic
added 2nd comment