You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Imported Smart object does not change

Hello,

I have purchased a flyer template as I plan to distribute them for my company. However, as it's often the problem, the template is only a PSD and I have only Affinity at hand due to me purchasing it some years ago. This wouldn't be an issue as Affinity Photo can import smart objects but it does not seem to work or I am doing something wrong.

I have activated the "Import smart objects" setting and AP does show the respective layers as "embedded document" but if I try to edit them, nothing happens in the main file. I also tried to use the latest beta which doesn't help either. Here is a screenshot of AP and the template.

image.thumb.png.97d0494067eab8b8174659e11efb6806.png

As far as I understand, the template uses linked layers or something to show the smart object in the "Photo (Insert photos here)" foder/group. If I edit one of the documents in there, affinity does update the correct layer as well (called Photo 1 and Photo 2) so the only thing not working is as said the visibility of the image.

As I don't have that much time to finish my work I have downloaded a free trial of Photoshop so I can modify my template but I want to report this here as well because I don't really want to pay for Photoshop if I have something else to use. This is how it looks in Photoshop:

image.thumb.png.f8263442f18f04e95ae6f6694c15e537.png

If you need the file to see what's wrong, please let me know how I can send it to you as it's a paid template so I can't upload it. Alternatively I can give you the link to the template should you want to purchase a copy to test (it's 7$).

Thanks in advance.

Edited by internetfreak
Added photoshop screenshot for comparison

@internetfreak Welcome to Affinty Forum,

If you click on the embedded image files, a new window should open where you can make changes.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

1 hour ago, Wosven said:

Hi @internetfreak,

Why are the photo layers not visible? (little eye icon on them in PS or check mark in AP).

It's not necessary to make those layers visible, they are only a link for faster editing. The real photo layer is visible and if I edit the invisible layer, the edits are still reflected.

1 hour ago, Komatös said:

@internetfreak Welcome to Affinty Forum,

If you click on the embedded image files, a new window should open where you can make changes.

I know this, but it doesn't show in affinity, regardless of what I'm doing. In the photoshop screenshot you can see that there are "Insert Photo" marks which do not show in AP so I assume that there's something that is not yet fully supported by Affinity

You should insert the images in the embedded documents where it's indicated to insert your images, and make them visible.

Without the file, it's difficult, but only try and error will get you some result.

In some mock-up, the embedded file are hidden, but it's where you need to put you images, or tweak the mock-up a little bit.

For example, here with 2 mock-up I put in the same file, the result when modifying an embedded document is nearly instantaneous.

I open this cover mock-up I did last year:

2021-05-01_150908.thumb.png.6f991b34ec057578dde567d510484d78.png

Inside : 2 mock-up, each one contains 3 embedded documents.

I opened those embedded document and modified them to show the original yellow cover or spline:
once open, it's square or rectangular, like the page you originally created

2021-05-01_150920.png.0dfe55d2e72eaa059fb7fec2ab38d5a3.png

2021-05-01_150929.png.f9c4b8fcfb97461d203e0cc601f0a4b6.png

without saving the document, only switching windows, and the yellow cover is displayed

2nd mock-up embedded in the 1st one: I open and modify one of its embedded documents

2021-05-01_151217.thumb.png.f4aeab779bd68f1faa9775a834520356.png

2021-05-01_151247.png.17e492c4bed33cf5e8f3abdefc27cc60.png

It's displayed in the 2nd mock-up...

2021-05-01_151256.thumb.png.9a79326f80c9d26485e3498e72e2f8f3.png

...and in the 1st too

2021-05-01_151306.thumb.png.c17040e76857028eecf9f8b1388115c6.png

I have inserted the image where it should be but still no success. I have even opened the file which I modified with photoshop (so I can be sure the image was correctly shown) and it's not displayed.

This is the link to the template I used if someone wants to buy a copy for testing: https://graphicriver.net/item/corporate-flyer/23293237
I can't/won't upload the file here due to licensing reasons and I'm hesitating if I should DM it to one of you for testing

EDIT: According to Wosven we now know the problem. It's due to the gradient that is supposed to make the images black & white. Modifying the last color to white seems to fix all problems and disabling it shows the picture at least but not the white logo area. Looks like there goes something wrong when Affinity imports the gradient so I guess this is still a bug. If anyone of the developers wants the file for testing, I'll DM it to you

Edited by internetfreak

Additional details I found out while editing the document in Photoshop: The affected layers (meaning photo and gradient) are clip masked onto the respective photo background layer. I don't know if Affinity can replicate/support this yet but it might be the issue that leads to the whole thing not working