You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

G-Sync incompatibility is killing me

Nvidia driver: 465.89

Monitor refresh rate: 100Hz

Even though I don't have g-sync enabled for windowed applications, affinity products will still change my monitors refresh rate when doing anything leading to a LOT of stutter.

If a choose 'fixed refresh rate' for affinity products in the driver control panel the stutter is gone, but I get a black screen for a split second every couple seconds. Also bad.

The only way to get the applications to behave nicely is to turn g-sync completely off, and well, why should I need to do that? It's a feature I've grown to rely on quite a bit.

I've seen this issue reported on the affinity forums as far back as 2019 and I don't understand why 2 years later it's still a thing. I certainly didn't have this issue with photoshop and I'd rather not return to it. How can I make affinity products play nice with my monitor?

@DWright

I have a 2080ti that's outputting to my monitor, and a 1080ti that I use for other stuff (but is not connected to the display). The stuttering occurs regardless of hardware acceleration being enabled or not inside Affinity apps. I have my gsync set up the same way as in your screenshot.

If you don't want to just take my word for it I can record a video of how Affinity products change my monitors refresh rate (the monitor has a hardware refresh rate overlay I can enable), would that be helpful? There is literally no other program I have installed on my system that behaves like this.

• 2 months later...

It's been a while now, and after a few driver updates this is still an issue. It's definitely not an issue isolated to just Affinity Photo as I gave Krita a shot and had the same thing happen. However, I also gave Corel Paintshop pro a shot, and it did not have this issue. So for the time being I will switch to using Paintshop as it does not require me to switch my graphics driver settings for it to function properly.

If this ever gets resolved I would happily return, but just like I won't drive a car whose power steering goes dead every few seconds, I won't use a program that flickers my screen every few seconds.