You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Files opened in Publisher look excessively bright

Hi! Since the recent update any files I open in Affinity Publisher look way too bright, which obviously makes pre press work very difficult. The same files look normal when I open them in Affinity Photo. Any thoughts or solutions to fix this problem are very much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Karina

Okay, ‘fixed’ this problem myself. What happened is that I usually work in a light interface, as this works much better for colour accuracy of my watercolour art. After the last update, the interface of Affinity Publisher was set to ‘dark’ instead of ‘light’ which made all my watercolour art look way too bright and made prepress work quite a challenge as things looked completely different than when printed (though exported PDF’s looked fine colour wise). It’s quite astounding how much the dark/light interface influences how you perceive the colours you see on your screen, so let’s just say I learned that it is very important to choose the right interface at all times. Choosing a light interface definitely makes my work of adjusting levels and contrast for printing jobs A LOT easier, as what I see on the screen matches the printed version way more. Hope this slightly silly thread can help someone with the same ‘problem’. Happy day! 

6 hours ago, Karina said:

It’s quite astounding how much the dark/light interface influences how you perceive the colours you see on your screen, so let’s just say I learned that it is very important to choose the right interface at all times.

Note that you also have an option to set the background (& if used, artboard) grey level in P{references > User Interface.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thank you! Yes, I do know this, but haven’t used the feature myself up until now. I’ll look into it, it would be great if it would help with even better colour accuracy compared to my printed art. Thank you for taking the time to point this out to me!