You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

hyphenation error in Spanish text

572 / 5000

Resultados de traducción

I have imported a file from InDesign to make some corrections and I have detected that the hyphenation is not done correctly in Spanish. In the attached screenshots you can see (marked in red) the word *gus-anillo that should be split into gu-sanillo or gusa-nillo, or the word *en-amorado that should be split into ena-morado, just like the last *desg-raciado that should be split into des-graciado. In the second image I have changed the hyphenation to German and some errors are solved, but I imagine that by chance since there is one that does not work.
It's a pretty serious problem that I don't know if it also occurs in other languages, but now I have to go through a 150-page book one by one and manually split all the wrong words ...

Captura de pantalla 2021-04-29 a las 19.38.10.png

Captura de pantalla 2021-04-29 a las 19.42.01.png

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

I see the same hyphenation issues for Spanish on Windows, too.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

In my tests, using the Hunspell route, the hyphenation is right with "enamorado" and "desgraciado". Unfortunately, "gusanillo" is wrong. I don't know if the problem is due to Hunspell or APub.

By the way, the hyph_es_ES.dic included in Apub is shorter than the last hyph_es_ES.dic available in the Intenet.

2 hours ago, Pedrober said:

By the way, the hyph_es_ES.dic included in Apub is shorter than the last hyph_es_ES.dic available in the Intenet.

Good research. Thanks.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 1 year later...

This topic is frequently repetitive, and not only with spanish hyphenaqtion (that is for me significantly severe, since is my language), also with german (my second language), and, surely, with other languages.
A problem that *should* be corrected. No excuses. And german word-partition rules are complex, but spanish rules are simple (really not so simple as in english) and both german and spanish rules are publicly available  <http://www.reglasdeortografia.com/divisionpalabras.html> or <http://hispanoteca.eu/gramáticas/Gramática española/División de palabras final renglón.htm> or <https://jacarandase.es/division-de-palabras-a-final-de-linea/>.

That the aff.apps use *external* resources for hyphenation can be a good idea, but only if those resources work correctly.

(hyph_es_ES.dic,  hyph_ES.dic does not work really correct)

Emilio