You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I shoot in RAW and JPEG.  When I download pictures from my Canon 90D using canon utility it is automatically saving the raw files as an affinity file - I want to be able to use lightroom as well for editing.  How can I get to save just as RAW?

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, Andrea. :)

The Canon utility won’t know about the Affinity file format. I think what’s happening is that the operating system is associating the Canon raw format with the Affinity range, so when you double-click the file it opens in the most recently used Affinity app.

Try opening the raw file directly within Lightroom. Alternatively, change your file associations: the method for achieving this will differ according to whether you’re on Mac or Windows.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

This is one way: Right-click the RAW, select Open With, then Select other app. In opening dialogue pick the application you want and check the box to remember your decision. This is roughly translated, because I am on a German version.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

The actual Canon software for such transfers for a 90D is "EOS Utility 3.13.20 for Windows", there is also a related PDF manual (the Windows version) for download on the Canon websites ...

- In the EOS utility software there are Preferences you can adjust, like the linked software to start (the default setting there is Canon "Digital Photo Professional 4"), you can change that to "Affinity Photo" or "Lightroom" etc. ...

Linked Software
From the list box, you can select the linked software that starts up when images are downloaded from the camera or when images are shot remotely. Also, you can register third-party software as linked software by clicking the [Register] button.

Other than that, if your 90D raw files (CR3.raw) are stored/transfered and thus kept with their common raw file extension, then every software that can deal with this raw file format (and it's extension) should be able to open and deal with these, no matter if the Win Explorer shows possibly another associated application icon for these then!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

21 minutes ago, AndreaJJ said:

I literally cant see the RAW file - the icon is just the affinity symbol. 

Open File Explorer (<Win>E) / View / Options / Change folder and search options / View  - make sure that "Hide extensions for known file types" is not checked.  The displayed file names should now include the file extension.

25 minutes ago, AndreaJJ said:

If I do open with photos it is just blank.  

The full name of the file is the title of the image's window - is it the right file?

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

Using Snip - the windows screenshot app, take some screenshots of windows explorer showing the canon raw files.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/use-snipping-tool-to-capture-screenshots-00246869-1843-655f-f220-97299b865f6b 

Also what happens when you open a canon raw file in affinity, do they open, can you see the image? If they open take a screenshot of the affinity window.

Also upload a raw file here if possible, don't worry about file size this forum can handle quite large files.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions