You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Placing a portrait image into a landscape layout auto-rotates the image onto its side. Why?

Migs

I'm working on a book project with pages in landscape orientation.

Whenever I import a portrait-oriented image from my hard drive using the File → Place... command, the image always appears rotated (usually 90° CCW), seemingly in order to match the orientation of my page layout.

This is a bit annoying. I presumably know that a giraffe, a pine tree, and Michelangelo's David all look better upright. Why is Publisher forcing my photos to lie down?

Or is there a simple setting that I overlooked?

1 hour ago, Migs said:

Why is Publisher forcing my photos to lie down?

APu determines the orientation of the images by a parameter inside the image and ... fails ... sometimes. I do know, that the Affinities still have problems with images from smartphones, just to name one. Could you upload a wrong orientated image to verify? If my assumption is correct, then this thread should be moved to the bugs section.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Hi Joachim_L thanks for your reply.

TO illustrate my point, as you suggest, I'm attaching three botanical images that are portrait in their original orientation, and meant for inclusion as portrait images within the landscape layout.

For each of these images, the placement process automatically rotated them by 90 degrees. It's frustrating when you need to upload hundreds of these things, and then have to correct each one after the upload.

I understand that the Affinity algorithms might be challenged in interpreting how the photos should be oriented, because plant closeups can, indeed, be confusing.

If that's the case, Affinity shouldn't force it. I appreciate the effort of trying to make things easier for the end user. But if it's not yet smart enough to do it right, there should be, in my humble opinion, an option to turn the feature off. It's driving me bananas.

Thanks again for the response.

Ud29-Affinity-issue-1.jpg

Ud29-Affinity-issue-2.jpg

Ud29-Affinity-issue-3.jpg

8 minutes ago, Migs said:

For each of these images, the placement process automatically rotated them by 90 degrees. It's frustrating when you need to upload hundreds of these things, and then have to correct each one after the upload.

I cannot use your attached images for testing purposes, because the forum software "repaired" the images during upload. Sorry for forgetting to tell. Best would be to zip the sample images and upload again.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

As thought. APu reads the Exif information for Orientation, which is right-top in this case and places it in landscape although it has to be portrait. Batch-Saving with e.g. XnViewMP changes the Exif information for Orientation to top-left. APu places this file correctly.

@Migs As a workaround you can batch save your images to "correct" the images until this bug is hopefully fixed.

------

@Joachim_L I appreciate the analysis. I'm familiar with Exif, but have not yet worked with it before.

I've already fixed the issue manually for much of this publication, so I will reserve your useful suggestion for future projects.

To any Affinity devs who read this: Whatever the Exif data might have been, Google Drive got things right and displayed the pics correctly oriented. Windows Explorer got things right and displayed the pics correctly oriented. It was only within Affinity that things got confusing. FYI. 

Thanks Joachim_L and all the best 😊

Photo opens the files in the correct orientation.  Publisher and Designer does not.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!