You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I enjoy using Affinity but I find that I am using only just enough to start the engine when what I want to do is taxi, take off and fly as well. There is help a plenty in the videos but there is a but.

Here is an example. I have an image to which I want to add a small area of diffused colour. Sounds simple but when I go to the videos, I am lost in a sea of technical titles which I am sure are fantastic but I don't see where I might begin. Clearly there cannot be a video for exactly what I want but although enthusiastic, I am not of  The Language. I am thinking that it would be great too see a list of ideas that people like me want to explore and for someone in the know to suggest titles to watch; or combinations thereof.

So where would I best go to learn how to add a small  area of colour to an image. The colour has to be a highlight with a diffused edge; a hint of colour rather than a blob.

I feel that in order to do this, I must first acquire  Phd in photographic manipulation.

Do you have an example of how it should look like? To me it sounds like adding a coloured vector element with a Gaussian Blur effect applied to it. But I can be wrong ... most of the time.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

9 minutes ago, Adrian Wood said:

I enjoy using Affinity but I find that I am using only just enough to start the engine when what I want to do is taxi, take off and fly as well. There is help a plenty in the videos but there is a but.

Here is an example. I have an image to which I want to add a small area of diffused colour. Sounds simple but when I go to the videos, I am lost in a sea of technical titles which I am sure are fantastic but I don't see where I might begin. Clearly there cannot be a video for exactly what I want but although enthusiastic, I am not of  The Language. I am thinking that it would be great too see a list of ideas that people like me want to explore and for someone in the know to suggest titles to watch; or combinations thereof.

So where would I best go to learn how to add a small  area of colour to an image. The colour has to be a highlight with a diffused edge; a hint of colour rather than a blob.

I feel that in order to do this, I must first acquire  Phd in photographic manipulation.

You could spend many hours watching video tutorials in the hope one will have what you want to do in it, or you could post an image showing what you want to achieve, and that would help getting targeted directions, or links to appropriate tutorials. 

Intel i7-10700 Gen10 CPU, 32GB RAM, Geforce GTX 1660 OC 6GB
Windows 10 Pro 22H2, 1x 1TB M.2 NVMe, 1 x 2TB M.2 NVMe. Affinity APh, APu, ADe

Thank you both. I can send you a screen grab, would that help. Sadly, calling it a Gaussian Blur is another example of my ignorance which is why I am grateful for the help.

This is an image of a statue. The figure has a drop earing. I want to add a red highlighted area to make the earing look like a real pink sapphire. 

Thank you

Adrian

Earing.jpg

46 minutes ago, Adrian Wood said:

This is an image of a statue. The figure has a drop earing. I want to add a red highlighted area to make the earing look like a real pink sapphire. 

You are most of the way there, I would now add a new Pixel Layer above the image layer and just use the Paint Brush tool to paint in the selection area onto that new Layer adjust the amount of colour by playing about with the blend modes in the Layers panel for that painted pixel layer.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Here’s a quick example of using a vector shape drawn with the Pen tool as a way of introducing colour to a specific area in an image as suggested by Joachim_L.
File saved with history so if you have the history panel open in Photo you can step back though the process.

Earing.afphoto

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

Here is my go at it. Used split toning, selective color and FX inner glow.
Also a bit of a fudge to clean up the edges.  Probably an overkill.

You can tone it down to taste by reducing the layer opacity of the top layer.

Coloured_Earing.afphoto

Intel i7-10700 Gen10 CPU, 32GB RAM, Geforce GTX 1660 OC 6GB
Windows 10 Pro 22H2, 1x 1TB M.2 NVMe, 1 x 2TB M.2 NVMe. Affinity APh, APu, ADe

Thank you its very kind of you to take the time. The two examples are very good so I now have something to aim for. I also have a list now of technical terms to decipher but I will get there.

Thank you Greyfox, Joachim, MarkW and Old Bruce. I will post my result.

Adrian

2 hours ago, Adrian Wood said:

Mark  - I didn't know there is a history panel. Do I use your image you sent me and where is the History Panel?

By default I think the History panel normally lives at the bottom of the Right Studio Panel?
But if it isn’t active, go to; View > Studio > and select History. Note, all active Studio panels in that list will have a tick next to their names.
In the History panel you can use the slider or click on the individual actions to go back/forwards though the steps.

Looks like you've got great results already though!😎

Screenshot 2021-04-28 at 20.05.15.png

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M