You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Mask Layers don't work...

So i add a layer to another layer as layer mask and nothing happens.. in the small preview icon i see that there is the map and when i do edit mask i see the map but nothing happens on the image where the masking should actually happens... it stays untouched?!?!

2nd picture shows the mask (edit mask)

help.png

help-mask layer content.png

Welcome to the forums @NoZof

It looks like you are using a pixel layer as a Vector Mask (notice the black ‘crop’ symbol) – sometimes called a clipping mask – which means that the layer to which the vector mask is applied will only be visible within the area of the vector mask. If the layer which is being used as the vector mask is the same size as the other layer then you will see all of the other layer, as you can see.
Try using a Mask Layer instead – go to the Help and put “mask layer” (without the quotes) into the search box.

• Staff

Hi @NoZof,
Welcome to affinity Forums :)
Duplicate the pixel layer you want to use as a mask, then with it selected go to menu Layer > Rasterise To Mask to convert it to a mask. If you want it to affect the grey pixel layer specifically drag the mask layer over the thumbnail of the grey pixel layer until you see a small vertical line on the right of the thumbnail. Drop the layer and that point to use it as a mask on that layer only.

Do you have anything in/on the indicated Pixel layer?

616002769_ScreenShot2021-04-28at7_40_19AM.png.84022f13a81cc055da6e6c2d3cc7f2fb.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

3 hours ago, MEB said:

Welcome to affinity Forums :)
Duplicate the pixel layer you want to use as a mask, then with it selected go to menu Layer > Rasterise To Mask to convert it to a mask. If you want it to affect the grey pixel layer specifically drag the mask layer over the thumbnail of the grey pixel layer until you see a small vertical line on the right of the thumbnail. Drop the layer and that point to use it as a mask on that layer only.

Oh ok that worked... thanks. Didnt knew that you need to rasterize a pixel layer to mask to use it as mask... shouldn't that happen automatically when i drop the pixel layer as mask? a bit confusing but works thanks

So with all that amazing nondestructive workflow, to actually use a linked resource as a pixel mask you have to rasterize to a mask, and you lose all linked benefits. Just why? Can we get something like use a linked resource as a mask?

48 minutes ago, slizgi said:

to actually use a linked resource as a pixel mask you have to

… use Live Procedural Texture:

I don't remember which user here came with this Texture preset idea but it's simple and brilliant!

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

1 minute ago, slizgi said:

this is what I was looking for

After posting, I did a few more tests to actually understand how it works:

• "R" stands for the Red channel, so that's was applied there as mask. If you want any other combination of channel being the mask, use e.g. "R+G+B" instead. Any math you need, depending on the image you're using…
  • You can add further filters, adjustments and effects to the LPT filter, e.g. Invert, Levels, Threshold, Blur, you name it. As usual, z-index inside the mask matters.
  • As you have noticed, those nested clipping adjustment/filter layers seemingly disappear if you apply the mask (bug?!). Instead of temporarily releasing the mask to edit their parameters, you can also work around by duplicating each mask adjustment/filter as a Linked Layer first, putting all duplicates into a disabled group so that they don't interfere with anything else, and using them as "remote control" for the now unreachable adjustments inside the mask:

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

No problem, I understand the math and how it works :) I was just not aware that this kind of thing is in Affinity Photo. And yea I was thinking about making the duplicate of them, to have still the link active or something. After all it is a big step up in what I can do with it in AP.

1 minute ago, slizgi said:

I understand the math and how it works

I have more difficulties here because the last algebra lessons that I had were in 1982, I guess… :D