You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Simple Copy/Paste into another document changes stroke width

sbe

The problem lies in the target document. But why? 

→ When I create a new document from scratch, copy/paste works.

The shapes are extracted from a more extensive layout, that's why there are so many clipping paths and groups. I didn't want to change anything for demonstrative purposes. If you ungroup all the groups, for example, it works. Still, a simple copy-paste should never change the look.

I have had the problem more often, so I would like to understand what the reason is. Thank you! 

target.afpub source.afpub

Different DPI for the two documents leaps out at me. But I would expect the copy paste to honour the point size of the strokes regardless.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

6 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

But I would expect the copy paste to honour the point size of the strokes regardless.

+1

Some time ago I also noticed that for some odd reason, Affinity treats points as bound to pixels, rather than to metrics or inches. And I didn't like it at all.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

Yes, so true! And how Affinity converts internally should not matter, the important thing is that the proportions to each other must always remain the same.

I think there should also be the option in the main settings to always turn on "Scale stroke weight + Layer Effects settings with Object" by default (currently this is always off by default...)

So one day, Serif willing, all of these handy little settings should be possible in an advanced "Transform Studio-Panel" incl. proportional scaling :) 

1308989_pastedImage_1.png.7f12e1f56d8b407ae9ea9ff6551d35ad.png

• 10 months later...
On 4/28/2021 at 4:15 AM, sbe said:

Yes, so true! And how Affinity converts internally should not matter, the important thing is that the proportions to each other must always remain the same.

I think there should also be the option in the main settings to always turn on "Scale stroke weight + Layer Effects settings with Object" by default (currently this is always off by default...)

So one day, Serif willing, all of these handy little settings should be possible in an advanced "Transform Studio-Panel" incl. proportional scaling :) 

1308989_pastedImage_1.png.7f12e1f56d8b407ae9ea9ff6551d35ad.png

thank you, will try this, because I have the same issue with a logo I made in Affinity Designer

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Bug/Issue still present as of today, version 2... hope we don't reach v3.

On 4/27/2021 at 8:47 PM, Old Bruce said:

Different DPI for the two documents leaps out at me. But I would expect the copy paste to honour the point size of the strokes regardless.

This is true, with same DPI no width change.

Edited by Ideagonal
Solution found

Mac mini M1 / macOS Ventura / 8 GB ram / Wacom Intus pen & touch / Affinity suite v1 & v2

• 6 months later...
On 4/28/2021 at 7:34 PM, Pauls said:

There's a known issue with copying groups -I've added this report to it

Pauls, this comment was over two years ago, and the bug is still there in V2.1. Bump?