You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

New Magazine Cover WIP

segts

Beautiful. The only thing I would suggest is either a thin dark outline on the bottom line of text, the text immediately under the title, and the text block on the upper right. That or a subtle drop shadow just to make them clearly legible. Other than that, I love the concept and execution. Bravo.

@dannyg9 THX! Yeah, the type isn't done yet. I just made it real quick in InDesign and imported it as A PDF overlay with the exception of the headline. I'll make the final tweaks in InDesign (unfortunately). I am looking forward to having no part of Adobe in this process if possible. I'll post the final art when it is ready. Thanks again for your input!!! It was a lot of fun to create! S:)

1 hour ago, segts said:

@dannyg9 THX! Yeah, the type isn't done yet. I just made it real quick in InDesign and imported it as A PDF overlay with the exception of the headline. I'll make the final tweaks in InDesign (unfortunately). I am looking forward to having no part of Adobe in this process if possible. I'll post the final art when it is ready. Thanks again for your input!!! It was a lot of fun to create! S:)

Just a little perspective here. I started using Affinity Publisher when the Beta was released. Got familiar where everything was and the integration with Designer and Photo. Created a few small single page items (Postcards, stickers, flyers) and exported as PDFs without any printing problems. Once Publisher was officially released (no longer Beta) I committed to creating full issue magazine (100 pages) while simultaneously creating one in Quark (haven't used InDesign for my freelance for over 5 years now). When it came time to export the magazine for printing there were no real problems but I had that Quark version just in case. Offset printer had no problem with the PDF file I sent.

At this point I've created 6 100 page magazines, and aside from one or two font issues, it's been smooth sailing and the programs only get better and better.

@dannyg9 That is great news! The huge hurdle that I have is working with editorial. We need an app that has editorial integration like inCopy. For our magazines, we just make final PDFs for our printer. If Affinity creates some galley view for editors, then I would love to switch. The other tricky bit is having robust tools for creating graphs and charts. Producing science pubs and online content, we are constantly making graphs and charts and would love something baked in.

I have been using Publisher for my own work since the beta too. I no longer use InDesign for my personal work and I bought the Publisher Workbook to shed more light on processes. Anyone reading this that's new to Affinity, I can't recommend enough getting the Workbooks! They were game changers for me with Designer and Photo! 

S:)