You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Paragraph "space after" baked in to Publisher Mac?

After searching pretty much every thread that could be related, I've learned the following:

1. A default "space after" value of 12 pts leading between paragraphs appears to be an intentional choice on Serif's part.
  2. There is a school of typographers who believe that this is a good thing for long blocks of text, and I respect that.
  3. There appears to be no easy way to change the base style globally (that is, in one's local installation of Publisher) so that the "space after" value is 0 pts, or any other value but 12 pts.

I accept the first two points, but want to know if the third point is true. Is there any way to change the base style so it applies globally to every new document that is opened?

Thank you for your thoughts on this matter.

-- 

Matt

If, like me, you want to have 0 (zero) points after a paragraph as the default then make a text frame and type some text. Now with the text caret in the text get the Paragraph Panel up and set the Space After to 0 (zero) points. Now go to Edit > Defaults > Synchronize from Selection and immediately go to Edit > Defaults > Save. You can use what ever Space After Paragraph size you want, it doesn't need to zero.

1117343040_ScreenShot2021-04-27at9_39_49AM.png.65ea77494f40105006bfbbf5c2fdda00.png

584142697_ScreenShot2021-04-27at9_36_35AM.png.c813534b5852ae528cf5c9995f03df2c.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

If, like me, you want to have 0 (zero) points after a paragraph as the default then make a text frame and type some text. Now with the text caret in the text get the Paragraph Panel up and set the Space After to 0 (zero) points. Now go to Edit > Defaults > Synchronize from Selection and immediately go to Edit > Defaults > Save. You can use what ever Space After Paragraph size you want, it doesn't need to zero.

You, sir, are a champion. Thank you!

-- 

Matt

And with that answered, I searched the Publisher help for this topic, and the closest I came was the discussion of "Object Defaults." This appears to be too particular and misleading, as @Old Bruce's solution also applies to default panel values and, I presume, anything else that is a default in Publisher.

That may suggest a revision or clarification in the Help facility would be in order.

Thanks again!

-- 

Matt