You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Frequent Prompts to Open Recovery File(s)

I've started having Affinity Designer 1.9.3 prompting me if I would like to open the recovery file associated with various files. I'm not sure what's going on, as I don't recall Designer crashing the last time I was using the file(s), and I haven't seen any crash reporting prompts from macOS to indicate Designer had crashed.

It also doesn't seem limited to any one specific file, and both the original and recovery files open without issue.

Possibly some recovery files may have been left in one of the app support folders, don't know if "autosave" or "backup".
Quit the app and look up if something's in there. If so, delete them.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

5 minutes ago, loukash said:

Possibly some recovery files may have been left in one of the app support folders, don't know if "autosave" or "backup".
Quit the app and look up if something's in there. If so, delete them.

Aha! There was a few files dated from the past few days in the autosave folder. Deleting them seems to have done the trick.

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately this prompt keeps coming back with multiple files. It's almost 50%-50% of the time when opening any Affinity (incl. Publisher and Photo) file that I'll be prompted to open a recovery file. AFAIK Designer (or any of the other apps) didn't crash on exit, so I'm not sure why I keep getting recovery files anyway—and why the editor is flagging them upon opening the original.

While the prompt itself is mildly annoying, the bigger issue is the question of whether or not users faced with this repeated prompt will trust that their original files were actually saved properly, question whether they should always be starting from the recovery file, and calls into question their overall comfort that their work created with the Affinity suite of products is safe and accessible.

macOS 11.3.1
Affinity Suite 1.9.3

image.png.75bf53df8c911fc3c8d801e44021831f.png

16 minutes ago, Bryan Rieger said:

why I keep getting recovery files anyway

Probably because you're quitting the app while still having an "untitled" and unsaved document open.
I, for one, consider this a feature. :)

To fix this, open the recovery file from the prompt and close it unsaved.
Works for me.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2