You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Some 1.9.1 glitches

I don't have a sample file to repro these, sorry.

I've run into several small, recurring issues over the last couple of days using AffPub 1.9.1 on Windows.

1) Publisher hangs when trying to resize table columns by dragging.  This almost certainly has the same root cause as my previous report (with 100% repro file!).  Once a table gets into this situation, the only way I know to get out of it is create a new table, copy/paste the contents, then deleted the "infected" table.

2) New table cells or new text frame start out with bold character formatting of no known source.  The Text Styles, Character, and Paragraph panels report nothing out of the ordinary, the context tool bar reports no "+" on the paragraph and character styles, but text typed into the cells or frame is presented in bold.  Explicitly assigning a different paragraph style does not clear the problem (weights change, but the displayed font is always bolder than it should be), but Text > Reapply Text Styles does.  So it's like the new cells or text frame inherited a character formatting override from no visible source.

3) Weird behavior when floating a frame causes it to move to a different page.  The move to a different page doesn't bother me.  What's bizarre is that when it moves to the previous page, the pin and "thread" connecting the pin and frame is not visible on that page, while the page containing the pin shows the thread going off in the opposite direction from where the frame is.  It's as if the visual cues are being drawn for where the frame would appear if it appeared on this page, but the frame is actually on a different page.

4) Weird behavior when resizing a table when pinned inline into a paragraph with centered text.  After shrinking a bunch of columns, the table is positioned as if it were still as wide as its maximum historical width.  (I wouldn't notice this if the paragraph were left-aligned.)  There is no frame inset or gutter, nor any spacing characters, taking up the extra width.  After paging back and forth several times, the table layout generally starts behaving properly, but I have not yet pinned down exactly what I need to do to make the historical width vanish.

5) Finally, I'm not sure if this is a bug or by design.  I have some manually positioned text frames, some from master pages, others put on a specific page.  All of them have text wrap set to "Jump" "Both sides".  When I pin an additional text frame (also set to Jump+BothSides) floating into the text, it does not avoid the manually positioned frames.  Given that everything is set to Jump+BothSides, I expected the floating frame to avoid all the fixed position frames.  Turning on "Keep within bounds" makes it respect the margins, but not the other text frames that are within the margins.

Why 1.9.1, when 1.9.2 has been out for some time now?

For number 2, I would expect the setting to be visible somewhere. Can you provide a screenshot showing the Context Toolbar and Character panel when this happens? Also, possibly you can "fix" it by Edit > Defaults > Revert or (after reapplying the text style) Edit > Defaults > Save. Or if all else fails, Edit > Defaults > Factory Reset?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

7 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Why 1.9.1, when 1.9.2 has been out for some time now?

I prefer not to upgrade when I am in the middle of working on something if it's not necessary.

7 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

For number 2, I would expect the setting to be visible somewhere.

Me too, which is why I mentioned all the places I looked where it wasn't visible.  🙂  If I can provoke it into happening again, I will try to get some screen captures.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...