You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Import PDF into iPad Designer / Selecting the page to display

Hi,
I know how to do this on the desktop version ("spread") but can't see it on the iPad version. If I place a multi-page PDF into a designer file and then want to display a page other than page 1, how can I do it? I can see that I can double-click on the imported layer and view the embedded document; I can then delete all the pages except the one I want to display. But I have a feeling there must be a better way. (With the delete method, if I then want to duplicate the layer to display a different page elsewhere, I can't because I just deleted all the other pages!)
Thanks in advance. I have searched for the answer but drawn a blank.

• Staff

Hi @gec118 :)

I can confirm that this isn't possible in the iPad version currently when Placing a PDF document, my apologies. If you Open/Import an .afpub document with multiple pages then you will be provided controls to select which page/spread is displayed on the canvas, but unfortunately the same controls do not yet exist for PDF documents.

This is something we hope to add in a future update, so deleting the unwanted PDF pages may be the best option for your currently.

I hope this clears things up!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• 5 months later...
8 hours ago, erickb said:

its crazy not to be able to open a simple PDF on ipad pro !

But you can. You have to 'Place' the pdf then double tap on it to open it. The OP was referring to selecting which page displays when closed.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, kafkatamura said:

Sorry to bother you, but how exactly can we import a PDF into AD for iPad? I saved a PDF (multiple artboards) with AD and I want to put the file back, but I cannot drag, share (from files) nor open (within the AD). Thanks in advance!

Ideally you would have saved a .afdesign document, as well as Exporting your PDF.

But you should be able to Open the PDF in Designer on iPad. From the home screen, click the + then choose Open from Cloud, navigate to the folder, and select the file.

If that doesn't work for you, perhaps you need to restart your iPad.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

6 minutes ago, kafkatamura said:

I need to use the PDF because it’s annotated

What other software has operated on it, and what was done? In particular, annotations are not supported as far as I know, and I'm not sure if you're saying you annotated it in Designer or whether you annotated it elsewhere.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

45 minutes ago, kafkatamura said:

Anyways, there's nothing else I can do now, will figure something out.

If you can post your PDF here perhaps another forum user can help. Or if it's confidential one of the Moderators can supply a private upload link and perhaps they can figure out what's wrong.

-- Walt
PC: