You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Does anyone here use ACDsee Photo Studio?

I'm curious, does anyone here use ACDsee's Photo Studio?  it compliments Affinity Photo nicely.   I think of Photo Studio as being analogous to LightRoom and Affinity Photo to PhotoShop.  Photo Studio has excellent DAM management capabilities, and a very fast database.  I have hundreds of thousands of photos and videos cataloged, and I can search for media by name or metadata and get results in seconds.  Unlike LightRoom, it integrates with the file system well (Windows 10).  I also perform a lot of batch development and editing using Photo Studio, but do any heaving lifting in Affinity Photo, such as compositing or merging or stacking.

Overall I do not miss LightRoom and PhotoShop at all!

ACDsee Photo Studio also shows the preview for afdesign, afphoto and afpub files and can open with...

image.png.5e10f41f2092d8bea3647b7cee2eeb0a.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

15 hours ago, LondonSquirrel said:

I tried ACD Photo the number one thing for me which is a deal breaker is the search capability. In comparison to the popup panel in Aperture, it's extremely weak. If you haven't seen it, here's a sample screen shot. I can add any number of arbitrary rules, dates, etc. This is very useful as I have photographed certain things and places several times over the years. It really is the best photo search panel I've used.

I did provide feedback to ACDSee about this. They acknowledged my email, but that is all. Adding this sort of functionality is practically a junior developer's job. It is querying a database for matching attributes. 

J.

1414357026_Screenshot2021-04-25at12_36_20.png.ef8ec3d324e51ad95c56383b61da416a.png

That is essentially a query by form.  I also find that the search functionality in Photo Studio could be improved.  I confirmed with ACD that there is no way to query the database except for with Photo Studio.  However, it does search for file names, and any metadata embedded in the files, which is sufficient for my purposes most of the time.  If I need more search capabilities I just used Microsoft's Advanced Query Syntax to search based on multiple criteria.

On 4/25/2021 at 1:50 AM, firstdefence said:

ACDsee Photo Studio also shows the preview for afdesign, afphoto and afpub files and can open with...

ACDsee does not show the preview of Affinity files on Windows somehow.
Is it Mac only...?

33 minutes ago, ashf said:

ACDsee does not show the preview of Affinity files on Windows somehow.
Is it Mac only...?

Might be the ACDSee version, ACDSee Studio 6 got thumbnail previews for Affinity but earlier than that I don't think Affinity thumbnails were supported.

A bit more info on file supporting ACDSee: https://www.acdsee.com/en/support/file-formats/

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1 hour ago, ashf said:

I see, it supports only afphoto. I was checking afdesign files.

Because the Affinity format is inter-app (for want of a better phrase) i.e. each app can open each others files, I think they only have to support Affinity Photo because it will automagically support afdesign files and afpub files as can be seen in my screenshot.

Maybe download the trial of ACDSee to test?

XnViewMP can also preview Affinity app files and it's free.

4 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Because the Affinity format is inter-app (for want of a better phrase) i.e. each app can open each others files, I think they only have to support Affinity Photo because it will automagically support afdesign files and afpub files as can be seen in my screenshot.

The preview for afdesign is not shown on Windows.
But the preview for afphoto is shown.

15 minutes ago, ashf said:

The preview for afdesign is not shown on Windows.
But the preview for afphoto is shown.

Odd eh! must be a Mac/windows thang.

2 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Odd eh! must be a Mac/windows thang.

The development team might be different.
Product itself is not identical.
Windows : ACDsee Photo Studio 2021
Mac : ACDsee Photo Studio for Mac 7

24 minutes ago, ashf said:

The development team might be different.
Product itself is not identical.
Windows : ACDsee Photo Studio 2021
Mac : ACDsee Photo Studio for Mac 7

True but I can't see why they would ignore afdesign and afpub files unless it's because it's predominantly photo oriented, maybe query it at the acdsee forum 

• 2 years later...

Hi @zBernie!

That's funny, an ACDSee-discussion in an Affinity Forum 🙂 

Well I use ACDSee Ultimate. But I'm not too happy with it. So I came across Affinty, which has - afaict - a much better quality, but lacks DAM and mass-processing Modules ... See my posting;