You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

iPad Pro 2021

Now that the iPad is effectively a Macbook Pro 13" in a tablet form factor, are you all planning on taking advantage of this newfound power? Will the iPad version match 1:1 with its desktop counterpart?

For example, I remember reading awhile back how you're planning on bringing 3D support to Affinity Photo/Designer. That'd be an absolute killer feature to have on the iPad, and it'd practically seal the deal on me buying one.

So...whatchall plannin'?  

• Staff

The iPad version will still have a different UI as this was designed around using the touch screen and Apple Pencil, from the info released by Apple the performance of the M1 iPad Pro looks like it will be comparable to the M1 Macbook but until they have been released we will not know for certain.

The iPad is still an iPad at the end of the day. Though it would be cool to see apps like Affinity and Adobe to be more like their desktop counterparts especially since you can use a mouse and keyboard on an iPad. For me it would be the only way I could use these apps on an iPad, especially Publisher/Indesign. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2021 at 9:26 AM, DWright said:

The iPad version will still have a different UI as this was designed around using the touch screen and Apple Pencil, from the info released by Apple the performance of the M1 iPad Pro looks like it will be comparable to the M1 Macbook but until they have been released we will not know for certain.

...strange the forum never notified me about getting a reply to this thread.

Yeah, I expect (and hope) that the iPad version will keep it's touch-centric UI. I've used the desktop version of AP on a tablet, and it was a fairly janky experience.

I'm mostly curious about the feature set. There's really no reason for developers to offer up a truncated mobile version of their apps anymore. The only question is whether they'll take advantage of the power on offer.

56 minutes ago, Renzatic said:

strange the forum never notified me about getting a reply to this thread.

You're not Following this thread, according to its Follow button.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I'm a documentary and street photographer.  I've been using Affinity Photo on my long in the tooth iPad Air 2 and just preordered the 1TB 11" M1 iPad Pro - Even the initial work I've done with my current iPad Air 2 looks great but TBH, the performance is a little slow since I edit RAW files.

Will the current versions run on the M1 based iPad Pro's?

Is there any word yet if Affinity is developing an update to their app trinity to run natively on these new iPads?  I'm itching to finally not have to deal with sluggish performance and given that this is the direction Apple is going with their mobile devices, I'm hoping Affinity isn't too far behind.

• 1 month later...
On 4/26/2021 at 8:29 AM, wonderings said:

The iPad is still an iPad at the end of the day. Though it would be cool to see apps like Affinity and Adobe to be more like their desktop counterparts especially since you can use a mouse and keyboard on an iPad. For me it would be the only way I could use these apps on an iPad, especially Publisher/Indesign. 

Yep. ‘Cept for the fact that Affinity Designer and (as mentioned) Photo have very iPad-compatible, tablet interfaces that lend very well to productivity. And have been my go-to choice for years. Can’t wait for their Publisher effort to arrive on iPadOS. I’m looking forward to a PDF-creating, publishing workflow - without touching my Mac. 

17 hours ago, johnnydfred said:

Yep. ‘Cept for the fact that Affinity Designer and (as mentioned) Photo have very iPad-compatible, tablet interfaces that lend very well to productivity. And have been my go-to choice for years. Can’t wait for their Publisher effort to arrive on iPadOS. I’m looking forward to a PDF-creating, publishing workflow - without touching my Mac. 

Creating and designing in Designer and Photos is very different then page layout. I would be happy to be proven wrong but there are a few things I don't see going well for page layout on an iPad. The size of the iPad screen itself would be a drawback to me, I like to work as near to 100% as I can, iPads are seriously lacking in screen real estate compared to a desktop with a nice size monitor. Now I would like to have my page layout software on my iPad if I needed to do a quick edit when not at my computer but I could not see sitting and working as I do now on any project.

• 2 weeks later...