You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

ALL Affinity apps crash immediately on attempting to open them

This is something I have never before experienced with the Affinity apps: this morning neither Designer, nor Publisher nor Photo will open, either in latest release or beta versions!  Attempting to open them, the correct splash screen appears for about 5 seconds and then the app closes/crashes!

I've looked at the Crash Reports for all the versions and all are identical, seeming to point to a problem with graphics drivers and/or OpenCL.  Here is one of those reports (in full): 

[DXCore] Found 3 adapters
AMD Radeon (TM) R7 360 Series
    Version: 27.20.21002.112
    IsHardware: Yes
    Supports D3D12 Feature Level 12.0: Yes
    HardwareID: PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_665F&SUBSYS_80980000&REV_81
    LUID: 0x1026C
Intel(R) HD Graphics 530
    Version: 27.20.100.9466
    IsHardware: Yes
    HardwareID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1912&SUBSYS_79710000&REV_06
    LUID: 0x110A9
Microsoft Basic Render Driver
    Version: 10.0.19041.546
    IsHardware: No
    HardwareID: PCI\VEN_1414&DEV_008C&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_00
    LUID: 0x11084
[OpenCL] Found 2 platforms:
Name: AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing
    Vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
    Version: OpenCL 2.1 AMD-APP (3240.6)
Name: Intel(R) OpenCL HD Graphics
    Vendor: Intel(R) Corporation
    Version: OpenCL 3.0 
[OpenCL] Found 1 devices for platform AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing:
    Version: OpenCL 2.0 AMD-APP (3240.6)
[OpenCL] Found 1 devices for platform Intel(R) OpenCL HD Graphics:
Intel(R) HD Graphics 530
    Version: OpenCL 3.0 NEO 
[OpenCL] Error -6 (715): Could not create command queue!

This is the latest one for Designer but all three apps produce totally identical reports.

I have checked that the drivers for both my iGPU and AMD Radeon R7 360 are fully up to date.  There was an update for my Radeon card, installed yesterday I think.  I hope this is not another example of the bug affecting Radeon RX cards now creeping down to lower-specced ones!

Any and all suggestions/advice very gratefully received.

TIA

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

• Staff

Hi @emmrecs01,

I have see a similar report of this issue in the bugs section of the forums, whereby the AMD Adrenaline app was updated to the latest version and this started causing the Affinity apps to crash on launch, as well as driver based BSODs for another user.

Is this the same issue that you are experiencing? If you rollback/uninstall Adrenaline, does the Affinity app launch correctly for you? :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

@Dan C

Yes, I believe it is the same issue.  I am running the latest release of the AMD drivers (Adrenaline edition) and am about to remove them, using the DDU tool, and then revert to the earlier version.

Using the advice given in this FAQ I disabled Hardware Acceleration and could then open the apps.

Once confirmed that reverting to the earlier Radeon driver has resolved the problem I will send a bug report to AMD.

Jeff

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

• Staff

Thanks for letting me know, I'm glad to hear you're able to get the apps up and running!

I'm in the process of gathering this information and passing it through to our developers who can also report the issue directly to AMD - so hopefully this will be resolved shortly :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

@Dan C

I can happily confirm that reverting the Radeon driver and software version from the latest 21.4.1 to 21.3.1 resolves the issue completely!  (And I did reverse the changes to the PerformanceSettings.xml documents as in the previously mentioned FAQ.)

In the end, didn't use that DDU tool but merely selected the option on the Radeon Installer screen to carry out a factory reset/clean up of earlier installations.  Perhaps that has helped in this problem and would help other users experiencing it?

• Staff
54 minutes ago, emmrecs01 said:

I can happily confirm that reverting the Radeon driver and software version from the latest 21.4.1 to 21.3.1 resolves the issue completely!  (And I did reverse the changes to the PerformanceSettings.xml documents as in the previously mentioned FAQ.)

In the end, didn't use that DDU tool but merely selected the option on the Radeon Installer screen to carry out a factory reset/clean up of earlier installations.  Perhaps that has helped in this problem and would help other users experiencing it?

That's really useful information, thank you! I'm in the process of writing a quick FAQ for this issue, so I'll be sure to include this step :D

Please note -

Many thanks!

If one uses the uninstaller routine that is deposited during installation, driver remnants and registry entries always remain.
AMD offers the amdcleanuputility, which deletes drivers and preferences more efficiently.
Or you can use the DDU. This tool deletes even more effectively. 

AMD Cleanup Utility download. 

DisplayDriverUninstaller download.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!