You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

touching the apple magic mouse

Hi Folks!

touching the apple magic mouse I’m moving the picture right, left, up and down. How can I avoid it? 

On the other hand the Magic mouse has no wheel but acting the mouvement of the wheel (I checked the box in Preferences) I’m not able to zoom the picture (as I was doing earlier).

Someone can tell me more? Thanks. Paolo

Edited by Jarulex

4 hours ago, Jarulex said:

touching the apple magic mouse I’m moving the picture right, left, up and down. How can I avoid it? 

Use something other than Apple's Magic Mouse ... or resign yourself to being extremely careful not to touch & move a finger on its surface (even a tiny fraction of a millimeter!) when using it unless you really want to scroll around in the workspace.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

47 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Use something other than Apple's Magic Mouse ... or resign yourself to being extremely careful not to touch & move a finger on its surface (even a tiny fraction of a millimeter!) when using it unless you really want to scroll around in the workspace.

Got it, thanks!

R C-R's advice (replace them (with something which does the job)) is the only way to get them to work.

Years back I realized that Apple Mice were (expletive deleted), Steve Jobs had a blind spot regarding them and their horrendous design and subsequently impaired functionality. They have not improved. I truly do like the Apple Trackpad, does a great job.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 minute ago, Old Bruce said:

Years back I realized that Apple Mice were (expletive deleted)...

The big problem with the current one is the touch surface is -- at least for me -- much too sensitive, so even a very light, brief touch will activate the scroll function if the finger that touches it slides even slightly across the surface. That is very easy to do when all I want to do is click.

If there was a way to adjust the touch sensitivity, or a very small built-in 'dead zone' that allowed for a tiny amount of sliding movement before the scrolling function was activated, it would be at least somewhat usable.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

Hi @Jarulex,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
I also hated it in the beginning (I use one everyday). It takes a bit to get used to their shape and way of work but i can't live without it now. Give it a try and you may end up liking it too. Regarding your questions, you have to press and hold alt to zoom in/out when using it unless you switch to the Zoom Tool pressing Z - here you can drag it  on canvas to zoom in/out if you have Use "scrubby" zoom ticked in Affinity Preferences, Tools section. The checkbox Use mouse wheel to zoom only works with scroll-wheel mouses.

I've been working with the magic mouse since it came out and find it better than other mice. I don't have any issues with unintended movements as you describe it. Do you mean that there is a movement when you click? From my point of view it would be worth giving it a try because it improved my editing workflow being able to scroll in any direction without modifier key. If you prefer to zoom by scrolling, that's not possible with this mouse as MEB said.

6 minutes ago, MEB said:

Give it a try and you may end up liking it too. 

I tried using one for while but for me just keeping my fingers from accidentally touching the touch surface when all I wanted to do was move the mouse pointer stressed my hand enough that it became painful to use it for extended periods of time.

It could be an age thing. 😒

Affinity Photo 

3 minutes ago, user_0815 said:

Do you mean that there is a movement when you click?

As I said, for me, unless I am very careful not to let the finger I use to click slide even a tiny amount when it touches the mouse, the scroll function kicks in. Whenever I am zoomed in enough for scrolling to move the document around in the workspace, this makes it very difficult to click on whatever I am aiming for because it moves before the click is registered.

Affinity Photo 

I personally took to it straight away and really struggle if I have to use another mouse

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk