You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pencil sketch update for Beta 5

I am posting this because the method I had posted from the stable version doesn't work on the Beta version. I had originally posted this as a possible bug, but since it still exists in this new Beta version, I am going to assume it is not. But, it is a big difference when doing this method in the stable version versus the Beta.

So load your background picture.

Make a copy, CMD J

Selecting the copy, add an HSL adj layer, and take the saturation all the way down. By default the adj layer will be located on a root level new layer above your selection.

Select you copy layer again. You can do the rest in any order.

Change the blend layer mode to Color Dodge.

Make sure your copy layer is selected, it is safest to select the thumbnail. Invert the layer, CMD i

Add a Live Filter Gaussian Blur filter.

****Here is the difference.  As a default, when you add a Live Filter it will place the filter layer in the mask layer location of the selected layer (identified by the vertical bar on the right side of the thumbnail) and will be visible next to the layer thumbnail when the compound layer is collapsed. This position works in the stable version, but not the Beta. So I am presuming future versions of photo.

You must now move the Live Filter Gaussian Blur filter out of the mask layer position, and place it as a child under your copy layer (identified by an indented horizontal line beginning on the right side of the layer thumbnail).

Once you move the Live Filter, you can bring up the Gaussian Blur menu by double clicking the filter layer, and adjust the picture for taste.

You can still select the Gaussian Filter Live Filter thumbnail and use your brush with black or white and still use it as a mask. So by taking a black brush you can clean up areas you are not happy with.

Hope you find some use in this.