You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo 1.9.3 Bug – Crop tool not/barely working

NoLand

After the last update to Affinity Photo 1.9.3 the crop tool is barely working on a MacBook Air (M1, 2020, 16GB), macOS 11.2.3 (up-to-date) using the trackpad.

Symptoms: The handles can be used once on up to two side only and arbitrarily snap to a position, where they can't be moved from again.
(This is observed regardless of the snap settings. I.e., completely off, force pixel alignment, or move by whole pixels. Moving the entire crop selection using the cursor keys works, however.)

This behaviour is observed even after a complete restart. This has not been an issue before the last update.
The trackpad is working as expected with other applications, like Preview.

Edited by NoLand

Just tried, but now it does work as expected – of course.

Yesterday, it was really like trying to accomplish anything with a heavily severed hand. This behaviour survived program and system restarts.
Now, everything is working as expected.

For further information: This was specifically with files created newly from the clipboard (New from Clipboard), which were automatically converted to a grey-scale image. (Screenshots from an old manual.) There is no other input device (like a mouse) connected to the system or even registered (Bluetooth is off).

Edit: Maybe a corrupted file saving state that got purged in the meantime?

Edited by NoLand

I totally forgot about this one:

The PDF, these screenshots came from, was apparently malformed. While Preview was able to display it, it failed to export any raster image of a page. So I tried to import and render it using Affinity Photo, but the process didn't "come back" and I had to kill the task. Which is, why I then resorted to screenshots.
I would have expected any related temporary items to be purged on application restart, and certainly on system restart. However, it may well be that this hanging task was invoked again instead and was thus hogging the application thread somehow from the background.
So the issue may be related to not cleaning up any temporary items on application (re)start?

(I guess, any temporary resources are also a good candidate for becoming cleaned up in the course of the daily system maintenance tasks, explaining why it worked again today.)

Edited by NoLand

• Staff

Hi @SDeuell,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
I'm assume you are using Affinity Photo. Are you referring to the Crop Tool in Develop or Photo Persona? What happens exactly when you select the Crop Tool? Aren't you able to drag the handles of the crop frame, move it...? Any chance you can record a video show you can see what's going on please?