You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Background setting, white to transparent

• Staff

Hello Mark,

In Affinity Designer go to File ▸ Document Setup..., Colour tab, and check Transparent Background.

In Affinity Photo you can only do it when creating a new document, unless you send the document to Designer, change the option there and send back to Photo.

Hi Mark

I don't think you can change to a transparent background if/when you starter created a new document by using File > New (and set the background to non-transparency). But, if you opened an image, you can add an pixel layer and drag that bellow the default "Background".

A work around in the "New file" scenario can be to create a new document (with the desired type of background, and copy the layers from the original file. They should (I think) be placed in the same position in the new document when you hit Cmd+V

-- Magnus

Edit: MEB was faster then me ;)

Edited by Magnus_vb

Thanks Magnus, 

Might help if I explain what Im trying to do a little better.

I have created my project in Affinity Designer but when I started the new file i didn't check the transparency setting so obviously I now have a white background. So I tried what MEB suggested and I switched the white background to transparent. I am now trying to export my design over into Pixelmator (Sorry guys, haven't got round to getting Affinity Photo yet) so that I can blend my design with an image I have. Now when I import the image it is importing with the white background which is causing me an issue. Any suggestions? Will it be the case I will have to create a new document with the transparent setting right from the start and bring over me design?

Sorry guys, probably a simple problem but I'm still learning.

Cheers

Mark

It sounds like the image file is a jpeg which does not support transparency and will have a white background. You may be able to remove the white background. How difficult that is will depend on the complexity of the image. I am not familiar with pixelmator. Perhaps someone else can advise how to go about it.

Hi Mark

I think it should work.

I did a quick test with Designer + Pixelmator. The important thing to do is to export the Designer file in PSD format (it keeps the transparency). Then you can open this file in Pixelmator (I don't think Pixelmator have a "Place" function). Then copy the layers to the main image.

The drawback using PSD format when exporting is that it is no longer resolution independent - make sure the Designer objects are big enough.

The screen shoot is taken from Pixelmator and the star, with the shadow, is from Designer.

Cheers,

Magnus

post-8989-0-72990900-1445146568_thumb.png