You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Find & Replace Crashes Program

MacOS 10.10.5
Affinity Publisher 1.9.3

Lots of people learned to put two spaces after the period of a sentence. My boss takes this to an extreme and sometimes puts 3, 4, even as many as 6 spaces between his sentences. (Must be a visual thing for him or something.) He doesn't care because he knows everything goes through me first to have it edited, corrected, and typeset for finished documents. First thing I do with my boss' documents is search and replace all double spaces to single spaces (and I run the search several times until no more double spaces are found.)

So I'm trying to get my workflow more into Affinity Publisher and out of Adobe InDesign, and this is the first time I've tried this, so I don't know if it used to work in earlier versions of Publisher, or has never worked.

I open the Find & Replace studio, and when I go to type two spaces in the Find field, the application crashes when I type the second space. Initially happened on my existing document. Tried it also on a brand new document (after making a single text box and filling it with filler text), and the same result happened.

I just tried again by searching for something other than double spaces, and it appears to crash consistently whenever any second character is typed. This is with the default Find & Replace settings. Very consistent on my particular setup.

Edit: Typing more than one character in the Replace field also has the same effect.

Edited by Mike Lewis
Added one detail about the Replace field.

I can't help with the crash, other than to say it doesn't happen for me on Windows. But your process is inefficient in requiring multiple passes with Find/Replace, and if you improve the efficiency you may be able to avoid the crash.

Rather than repeated Find operations, you can do it with one operation:

1. First, make sure that Find/Replace is operating in Regular Expression mode (click the Formatting cog in the Find field, and select Regular Expression).
  2. Then Find (without the quotes) " +" and Replace with (without the quotes) " ". That will catch all the cases of multiple spaces at once.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

7 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I can't help with the crash, other than to say it doesn't happen for me on Windows. But your process is inefficient in requiring multiple passes with Find/Replace, and if you improve the efficiency you may be able to avoid the crash.

1. First, make sure that Find/Replace is operating in Regular Expression mode (click the Formatting cog in the Find field, and select Regular Expression).
  2. Then Find (without the quotes) " +" and Replace with (without the quotes) " ". That will catch all the cases of multiple spaces at once.

Remembering to have the replace field be one single space.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

37 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I concede that using regular expressions would be much more efficient.

Either way, unless this bug is fixed, I'll only be able to search and/or replace single characters. Not sure how useful that is.

- Mike

3 hours ago, Mike Lewis said:

it appears to crash consistently whenever any second character is typed

Works for me on El Capitan.
I don't have any Yosemite partition to test, but it could be a Yosemite specific bug.

1 hour ago, Mike Lewis said:

using regular expressions would be much more efficient

Find: (\s)\s+
Replace: $1

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

Also doesn't happen for me on Catalina in APub 1.9.2.1024 beta. F&R works fine.

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Sonoma
MacBook Pro, 13", M1 2020 • 16 GB • macOS Sonoma
iPad Air 2022