You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

F2 for renaming layers

The Mac convention is to use the return key, and that works in Affinity Photo, at least on the Mac, after clicking in the Layers panel to give it focus.

That said, since you need to click in the Layers panel to give it focus anyway, a double-click is currently faster than using the keyboard for this.

2 hours ago, fde101 said:

The Mac convention is to use the return key, and that works in Affinity Photo, at least on the Mac, after clicking in the Layers panel to give it focus.

That said, since you need to click in the Layers panel to give it focus anyway, a double-click is currently faster than using the keyboard for this.

If I click on a layer in the layers panel, thereby selecting the layer I wish to rename, a Return (or Enter on my extended keyboard) just gives me a system beep. I have to double click on the words in the layer in order to rename the layer.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

22 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

If I click on a layer in the layers panel, thereby selecting the layer I wish to rename, a Return (or Enter on my extended keyboard) just gives me a system beep. I have to double click on the words in the layer in order to rename the layer.

Curious...  the return key is working perfectly for me.

2 hours ago, fde101 said:

the return key, and that works in Affinity Photo, at least on the Mac, after clicking in the Layers panel to give it focus.

Only as long as a layer is unnamed. Then it's over with returns…
(IntEl Cap'tn)

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

Much testing and I find that if I click on the layer exactly where the text would be if the name was extremely long then the Return key works. If I click above or below or anywhere outside of the Text Entry area of the layer then the Return key gives the system beep.

I think I'll just stick to my method of clicking on the actual text in the layer then type away.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

The return key in Windows deletes the layer for me. Double click works when you give it focus in the layers panel, but I give an element focus by selecting it in the Document View and it would be nice to instantly rename that selected layer with F2 since the return key doesn´t rename layers in Windows.

• 1 month later...

In Photoshop, there's such a convenient option for renaming layers: When you've double-clicked on a layer to rename it, you can simply use your tab key to jump from one layer to another and rename without any other command. Easy and fast. 

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Just adding to this post. I agree having some sort of shortcut to name layers would be great. I use sketch frequently on mac and you can rename layers by pressing (command + r). I use this feature frequently, when I add a new element to a design I'm almost always immediately naming the layer before during or after placing it. This also makes the workflow move much more smoothly since you don't have to go clicking around.

I think you can navigate by keyboard through the layer stack, using [] keys. So being forced to switch to mouse is a pain.

same applies to text frames. Would love to see simple consistent keyboard shortcuts Win/Mac/iPad to 

1. rename layers (fully overwrite, delete old name)
  2. get into edit mode to modify layer name 
  3. overwrite text frame content
  4. get into edit mode for text frame content
  5. Switch for every layer to choose if text frame name gets updated by content every time, or stays independent 

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.