You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Multiple crashes when trying to create a star trail stack

1. Are you using the latest release version? 1.9.2.1035
    (
    here's how to check)

2. Can you reproduce it? Happens every time – a million times.
    (if you cannot then we may struggle to also, making it even harder to fix)

3. Does it happen for a new document? If not do you have a document you can share that shows the problem? This problem occured when stacking a series of 22 RAW images for a star trail stack. It crashed multiple times, but finally I was able to save the Affinity document. It's a huge file, 3,4 GB. I cannot export a JPEG. I cannot flatten the document. I cannot export a slice. I can send the file if you want to, but through an FTP like Sprend or similar.

4. If you cannot provide a sample document then please give an accurate description of the problem for example it should include most of the following:

•    What is your operating system and version (Windows 10, OSX Mojave, iOS 12 etc)? Windows 10

•    What happened for you (and what you expected to happen) see above

•    Provide a recipe for creating the problem (step-by-step what you did). See above

•    Screenshots (very handy) or a screen capture/video.

•    Any unusual hardware (like tablets or external monitors or drives that may affect things) or relevant other applications like font managers or display managers. No, a standard HP pavilion laptop bought last year, 8 GB RAM.

•    Did this same thing used to work and if so have you changed anything recently? No, never tried such a large stack before, but I have seen stacks of 45 images in your instruction videos. (software or hardware)

• There seem to be a general instability in Affinity Photo in the last two releases.

Hi again. There must be a crash report if AP crashes. You can find it if you copy %appdata%\affinity\photo\1.0\crashreports\reports then press the WINDOWS key + R and paste it and hit enter or klick OK.

There should be .dmp files. Please attach the one with the newest time and date stamp. And in the root of the 1.0 folder must be a log.txt, attach it too.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

My first recommandation is to update your Intel and NVIDIA gpu drivers.

Download Intel iGPU
Download NVIDDIA driver

Edited by Komatös

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Hi, I downloaded and installed the above drivers and rebooted the pc. No visible difference, several crashes during Flatten, in both AP and AP Beta. Then I clicked out the box Hardware acceleration under Preferencies and then it worked. Slowly, but it worked.

Loading a huge doc like this one takes some time. If you would start a Flatten during this upload the program seems to crash. 

Anyway, AP seems to work now, so thanks a lot for y help!

Hi Gabe, I uploaded the AP file to the above address. This was the file that caused me problems and crashes. Hope this is what you meant with project file. It is a first attempt at star trails. The focusing was not 100% and there was light at the far left side, but this shouldn't affect the file handling in Affinity. The photography will eventually get better.

• Staff

No crash here on my end. Putting the crash aside, you should really pre-process your RAW files before you stack them. There is no advantage in stacking RAW files, as you have no control over the developing process. If anything, it makes everything slower. 

Ok, thanks, I noticed that.. It is tedious work to process 22 RAW files in Affinity, as they have to be handled one by one. In that case it's maybe a better idea to fix the RAW development is in another RAW handler, that can process all the files alike.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Gabe, interesting work tonight. A few days ago I received my new pc, a HP Z book, 32GB, and hoped that all previous problems with crashes now should be over. As soon as i stacked a series of images, Affinity crashed. I tried the Beta, same result. Talked to HP support, they didn't have a clue, except for a guess of a possible mishap in the factory installation of the system on the pc. I then zapped the pc tonight, and started to reinstall all the programs, beginning with Affinity, which then worked perfectly. After each new program installation I ran a stack in Affinity. All worked perfectly well, until I installed Capture One 21 for Sony. Then Affinity crashed, every time when stacking. The stack comes up fine, but when I choose an operator it crashes. I then unistalled Capture One, and now everything is just fine!

I will inform the Capture One people about this. 

Hello, that is a known bug with Capture One. See here: 

That sounds good. 👍

@Gabe  Perhaps this file should be made available in a prominent place?

• Staff
15 hours ago, Linslusen said:

Hi again Komatös, I received a small zip from Capture One support that when installed changes something in a registry. Now both programs seem to work together.

Did you contact Capture One? Or was was the context of this "small zip"? 

Hi Gabe, I contacted Capture One support and received subsecuently a small zip to install. Apparently it just changes the name of a registry. I don't know what's in it, but the problem seems to be solved.

I could of course just pass on the zip, but I think, as this zip was property of Capture One, this issue should really be adressed directly between Capture One and Affinity development. Anyway, this was the guy I talked to at Capture One support:

Victor (Support) <hello@captureone.com>