You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Well, first I'm sorry for my English, it's not my native language, so I'm sorry if I do not make myself clear. Second, I'm new to the Affinity suíte and here in the forum, so I'm sorry if the problem is simple to solve or if the issue has already been raised.

My problem is that my artboards are not exporting at the correct size if my file is below 300 dpi in Affinity Designer. Like, I made a piece for Instagram on a 2000 x 2000 px artboard and 192 dpi and now I'm going to export it to send to the site. Then I go to Export Persona to create my PNG file, select the desired artboard, and adjust the preset to single PNG and size it to 1x to have my PNG in the same size as I created the piece, I hit the Export slices button and select the output folder. So far everything is fine, but when I open my exported PNG, the size has been reduced to half the original size, that is, 1000 x 1000 px. This only occurs when the dpi is below 300. I did a test with 298 dpi and the size of the exported file was cut, (scratch that, I mixed up the files) but when at 300 dpi or higher, the size of the exported file was correct.

What can it be? Is it a bug or am I doing something wrong? 

Edited by Igorjmm

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• Staff

Hi @Igorjmm,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Why are you setting it to 192 dpi (or 190 whatever) if you are exporting for web? Why not keeping 72 dpi which is the default for web docs?
These dpi are intended to be used for specific purposes, like generating multiple sizes of assets/icons for apps or serving multiple images sizes in webpages for different (resolution) devices. If you keep up the default value (72dpi) you should get the size you are expecting.

7 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi @Igorjmm,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Why are you setting it to 192 dpi (or 190 whatever) if you are exporting for web? Why not keeping 72 dpi with is the default for web docs?
These dpi are intended to be used for specific purposes, like generating multiple sizes of assets/icons for apps or serving multiple images sizes in webpages for different resolution devices. If you keep up the default value (72dpi) you should get the size you are expecting.

Old habit. I even made a lot of progress, because a while ago every piece I created was in 300 dpi. 😆

• 9 months later...

This is still unsolved on my end. Why should I change DPI just to fix it? 72dpi should be 72dpi for web. my artboard size is 1080x1080. Once I go to export persona, the size changes to 1081x1080 or 1081x1081. This is so random that it kills my workflow. I have to go thru all my artboards just to resize them 1 by 1. Furthermore, when I move some artboads in the design persona, it messes up the slicing in export persona. Now I have to delete all slices, reselect which ones to export again and create slices... AGAIN. Such hassle. I'm probably going back to Illustrator because of this.

1 hour ago, mike-k said:

This is still unsolved on my end. Why should I change DPI just to fix it? 72dpi should be 72dpi for web. my artboard size is 1080x1080. Once I go to export persona, the size changes to 1081x1080 or 1081x1081.

I think you have a different problem. This topic is about special processing that occurs for 192 dpi documents (also 144 dpi).

Your Artboards probably are not properly aligned on the pixel grid, or are not exactly 1080 px in size. If you select one of them in the Layers panel, and activate the Move Tool, and look in the Transform panel, you will probably see that either height, width, X, or Y, have decimal places. (Note that you may need to check your Designer Preferences, User Interface section, and change the number of decimal places for px units to 3 or more.)

If any of those 4 fields have decimal places, then you will get an added pixel or two.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Just now, walt.farrell said:

(Note that you may need to check your Designer Preferences, User Interface section, and change the number of decimal places for px units to 3 or more.)

Setting the number of places higher is not a solution. If the actual value is 33.0000000678 then the display will show 33 and it will appear that everything is fine. We need to toggle the values up and down, I use the arrow keys for this.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

5 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Setting the number of places higher is not a solution. If the actual value is 33.0000000678 then the display will show 33

True. But usually an error will show in the first 6 decimal places, not out at 8 or later. So, usually, just increasing the number of decimal places and looking at the Transform panel will show what the problem is.

It wasn't proposed as the solution, anyway. It was proposed as a diagnostic aid.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

17 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

True. But usually an error will show in the first 6 decimal places, not out at 8 or later. So, usually, just increasing the number of decimal places and looking at the Transform panel will show what the problem is.

It wasn't proposed as the solution, anyway. It was proposed as a diagnostic aid.

The real solution would be to export at the round pixel, as in the field. That's what are doing other apps when exporting images. If you extract the values in ID, it's different than the round number of pixels displayed in the field, since the app need this for calculus, but it stay behind the hood, no bad surprise... you don't look like a fool trying to explain to new users that never use such apps why it's so complicated or need so much precautions to resize an image or export it right.