You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Question : Using free Adobe Font

I don't have subscription for adobe creative cloud but I found some Bauhaus font and I can activate it. Now I am doing design work for client can I use these fonts in affinity? As per the license terms it looks free. If I can use then I guess there will be more fonts that I can use for free.  If any one has been through this path please share what you know.

image.png.040a34e124eb1245e1a496d5f9d3c5bd.png

image.png.93128e1deb42ce6e3f47029274f7b378.png

image.png

image.png

You can certainly use it in Affinity.  However, your client might not be allowed to do so.  (Read the detailed license terms to see exactly what is covered by "commercial use".)

As a general principle if you have a commercial license for a font, you can prepare designs for your clients, no problem.  But before your clients can start an ad campaign using them, they might need to obtain a proper license themselves.   If you are doing "work for hire", your licenses do not extend to your clients.  Part of your service can be assisting them in the process of getting any necessary licenses, if they are not already familiar with it.

"Commercial use" varies very widely with the specific licenses, so it's very hard to give one answer that is correct for all licenses.  However, one area to look out for is using a font to produce a logotype or making the font a prominent part of a (client) brand identity.  Frequently, this is not covered by the basic "commercial use" license and an additional license (with higher fees) would be required.

Now, I took a quick look at the "Learn More" link on that page, and it seems Adobe has pretty generous license terms.  (Read it!  It answers a lot of questions.)  If your client needs to edit things you have designed, they will need a license of their own.  And the license doesn't cover selling stuff shaped as single glyphs of the font, nor embedding the font in a mobile app, nor installing the fonts on a server (which probably means Webfonts, too, but it's not totally clear), nor sending a copy of the font to a printing bureau.  But you can make logotypes, modify the glyphs, set books in it, make ads in it, and all that is covered by their commercial license.

Licenses from other companies will generally have different conditions and restrictions, to some extent.

Yes Lagarto I hear you. I have adobe CC installed but I haven't brought a subscription yet. Just by installing CC cloud  I am able to use the free font.  As I understand they (Adobe) have fonts which are part of creative cloud and some are outside. Those which are outside are mostly fonts which are available on google and these Bauhaus fonts.

4 minutes ago, Lagarto said:

decide not to purchase for CC (and also if you just sig

5 minutes ago, Lagarto said:

If you have a 30-day trial I suppose you have more or less limitless access to Adobe Fonts during that time, which would then also allow to use these fonts commercially according to their license terms whether you have started to pay for the subscription or not.

Good Catch.