You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher RAM/Memory Usage

I finished a project recently that took up around 10Gb of RAM on my machine, for 164 pages with heavy graphic usage (https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/353349/SINS--MANIFEST-DESTINY - you can view a preview to see how it's laid out)

My machine: Windows 10 64bit 32Gb RAM available. Just loading Publisher uses 0.7Gb.

So I did a test creating a document with the same 100-page filler text (I copy/pasted the afpub file from the same master, only changing colour space as appropriate), and the same 10 linked images (+2 images on the master page that are copied to each page with a mirror transformation, all of which are in the appropriate colour space but in different file formats);

CMYK8 AfPhoto    1.3Gb
CMYK8 PSD          1.5Gb
CMYK8 TIFF          1.1Gb
RGB8 AfPhoto       1.6Gb
RGB8 PNG             1.1Gb
RGB8 PSD             2.0Gb
RGB8 TIFF             1.1Gb

These seem quite large RAM usage, and it is with a clean install of Publisher 1.9.2.1035.

Definitely something that needs looking into. Perhaps by working with low-res placeholders of the images rather than loading each image into RAM (which is what I suspect is going on so you can edit them directly).

Adding an option to the 'linked' files to allow low-res placeholders until export would be great, as well as having an option to have the links be relative to the afpub file (assuming it's all nested, of course)

That memory usage is not a problem at all, at least from my experience.

Publisher on my computer will easily take up a 3GB+ in a just a few minutes with just one file open. That's no problem because computers have so much memory. What's the point of lots of memory if your programs can't use it? I used to think like what your saying until I got Affinity. Realizing how much better it is to work in than Adobe changed my mind. I'm fine with it using memory if it gives me a great experience. if you want low res previews and jerkiness, dropped frames, and still use lots of memory, Adobe is your software. 

Okay, how about the fact that if a project tries to eat up more than 3Gb RAM, it sometimes fails to load. The project that takes up 10Gb RAM fails to load frequently, freezing up after around the 3Gb mark most of the time. I'd have to attempt to open it multiple times before it would finally jump past that and actually load fully.

And other people have complained about excessive RAM usage.

There is no need to be adversarial to my post.

I'm not trying to be adversarial. I thought you were making the remark strictly because it was using a lot of memory, and that was the only problem. Your post didn't indicate that your were having performance issues of any sort. Failing to load is an issue, but not sure it's related to memory usage.  Have you tried with 1.93? I noticed it was more stable.

:)

I wasn't going to try the beta since it's a production project that has the issue and I can't risk things breaking down the road (which is something they warn about in the notes).

I've had a lot of years of InDesign and even with bigger projects it never chewed up that much RAM and became unstable, which to me indicates that AfPub needs to optimise itself. But I do give it a fair bit of leeway because I do love it and I understand it's the new kid on the block.

1.93 isn't beta-at least not on the mac. I've switched almost all of our production machines from Indesign to Publisher - including our newspaper publication. I've found it's faster to get the weekly publication out in AP than in ID. I did 16 years in ID and now in 3 weeks it's already better at almost every level.

Perhaps post this in the bugs forum and see if they can be of better help than I.

have you messed around with your RAM settings in the performance preferences? I remember changing mine to make things work better.

534268413_ScreenShot2021-04-20at8_40_38PM.jpg.653169901d4cc715929055a5743558a6.jpg