You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Switching Between Programs …

Mmm-hmm. Me again. Sorry. New question, tho' - for what it's worth. Today's Question is:

How does one switch seamlessly between, for example, Affinity Designer and Affinity Photos? 

Working up a Designer layout today required me to switch to Photos to apply a Gaussian blur to an item being used for background. Easy enough, yes? The. Rub. … Once editing was done in Photos, I couldn't see a viable method to get back into Designer. I used a crude workaround - copying the element I'd blurred in Photos, closing Photos, then going back into Designer where I pasted the adjusted element. Imagine my surprise when I noticed in Designer that the original file I'd copied had gone missing while I was playing in Photos. 

Q: Is this normal? The tutes make it look seamless, but that wasn't my experience. To be fair, this is just the first time I've tried switching between programs since having the Suite, so there may have been simple & obvious solutions staring me in the face that I simply missed.

All (ahem) ‘clearification’ about this matter will be greatly appreciated and oft-used henceforth. Surely my experience is likely due to ‘operator error’ … ? That sounds so much nicer than ‘ig'nance.’

Mac Pro (Mid-2010) G5, 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon i7; macOS ‘Sierra,’ 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 5770; S271HL Acer Display (1920 x 1080); Affinity Designer, Photo, and Publisher 1.10.8, Photoshop CS6, Illustrator CS6, InDesign CS6, QuarkXpress 9.5.4.1, ON1 RAW 2020, Portrait Professional Studio64, Topaz Labs Suite, Nik Collection, LibreOffice; separate Western Digital external HDs for storage  

Proudly Wearing the Shame of ThoughtCrime …

1 hour ago, Dr_No said:

How does one switch seamlessly between, for example, Affinity Designer and Affinity Photos? 

1. File > Edit in Photo
  2. add your live filters
  3. File > Edit in Designer – and you're back with everything intact

Assign identical keyboard shortcuts in all three apps.
I've opted for:

• File > Edit in Publisher = ctrl-option-cmd-1
  • File > Edit in Designer = ctrl-option-cmd-2
  • File > Edit in Photo = ctrl-option-cmd-3

Either that, or open your document directly in Publisher – doesn't matter whichever suffix it has – and switch between Publisher's personas.
For consistency, I'm using similar custom shortcuts there: option-cmd-1 = Publisher, option-cmd-2 = Designer, option-cmd-3 = Photo persona

In other words, regardless the document suffix, the Affinity document format is "app agnostic". It can be edited in any of the three. There are only a few things that are exclusive, for example a layout document can be either spreads or artboards, but not both.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

Dang. It's really that easy? Huh. Tell ya what – I'm copying those steps and saving them to desktop for reference. That's a lot easier than what I put up with today, and it has the Extra Added Attraction of being non-destructive. I like that. 

Thanks for the heads-up and outlining the steps.

Mac Pro (Mid-2010) G5, 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon i7; macOS ‘Sierra,’ 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 5770; S271HL Acer Display (1920 x 1080); Affinity Designer, Photo, and Publisher 1.10.8, Photoshop CS6, Illustrator CS6, InDesign CS6, QuarkXpress 9.5.4.1, ON1 RAW 2020, Portrait Professional Studio64, Topaz Labs Suite, Nik Collection, LibreOffice; separate Western Digital external HDs for storage  

Proudly Wearing the Shame of ThoughtCrime …