You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

dodge and burn tools

16 hours ago, Colin Red said:

Hi there,

The Dodge and Burn tools do not appear to be working. The Highlights Midtones and Shadows selections in the contex tool bar are not making changes, they are all doing the same thing ......... hope I am not missing something here :) 

Hello. It would be nice to know what operating system you are working with and what version of Affinity Photo. I still have macOS 10.14.6 Mojave installed and Affinity Photo 1.9.3 from the Serif Store. Dodge and Burn works perfectly here. Have you made any changes to Opacity and Flow? Or in the brush settings? 

Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-20 um 09.38.32.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-20 um 09.58.33.png

iMac 2017, 16 GB RAM, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB, MacOS Ventura 13.6.6 (22G630) - Affinity V2-Universallizenz 

23 hours ago, Colin Red said:

Hi there,

The Dodge and Burn tools do not appear to be working. The Highlights Midtones and Shadows selections in the contex tool bar are not making changes, they are all doing the same thing ......... hope I am not missing something here :) 

I find that the difference between Shadow/Midtone/Highlight is so (expletive deleted) small that there is no point in using these two tools. Can't say for certain when this behaviour showed up but in my memory I had much better results from using these tools previously.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• Staff

Did you use the same Opacity and Flow on the iPad? The iPad image is much darker too so that's another variable.

I've just tested this on my iMac and I can see a clear difference. I did set both Opacity and Flow to 100% though. Perhaps you aren't using a high enough value?

Screenshot 2021-04-21 at 12.53.44.png

21 hours ago, Colin Red said:

Hi Chris,

Found the problem ....... Dodge and Burn not working in 32bit ROMM RGB ..... I changed to 16bit ROMM RGB and the tools work ... also in 8bit ROMM RGB they are working.   Is this a bug !!!!

cheers

Colin

For me it also works in 32bit ROMM RGB.

iMac 2017, 16 GB RAM, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB, MacOS Ventura 13.6.6 (22G630) - Affinity V2-Universallizenz 

thank you,

I always work from a RAW file with the Assistant set to 32bit output ......... I was reading something this morning that even some Photoshop tools do not work in 32bit. I only started using the dodge and burn tools a little while ago and noticed the difference when I was explaining the dodge and burn tools settings to a friend 

2 hours ago, Colin Red said:

Hi,

Humour me .....  In the Develop Assistant  change the RAW output format to 32bit from 16bit and try again

cheers

Works for me. But yes, there is a difference between 32bit and 16bit as Chris mentioned.