You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to change all the orange geometric forms to another color easily and rapidly?

Hi,

I have made a painting and I would like to change all the geometric form in Orange color to another color (ex: Green). As there are hundreds of orange geometric forms, it would be very time consuming to change them one by one.

So, is there a way to be able to select the orange color and to easily nd rapidly be able to get affinity replacing all the orange forms into green?

Thank in advance for your support.

Greg

Note: Then, I could use the same technic to change the dark brow dark color and the light brown color to other colts so that my painting could easily and rapidly be green, yellow, blue instead of orange, dark brown and light brown

Original image.jpg

Which Affinity applications do you have, and which application made that painting?

Are they vector objects, or pixel objects?

Edit: You've shown us a JPG image of your file. Do you have it in some other format, too?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

If you want to recolour it only to shades of one single colour, you could add a rectangle above the image and set the blend mode to "hue". The colour of the rectangle can still get changed to whatever colour you want. 

»A designer's job is to improve the general quality of life. In fact, it's the only reason for our existence.«
Paul Rand (1914-1996)

Hi Andy,

Can you, please, provide more details how to do it? Indeed, I do not understand how to 'set the blend mode to 'hue'.

As I would like to get the entire painting in full white (and only keeping the black lines) then, this could be helpful as I could apply a white rectangle.

But, what I also need to be able to change each color visible. So, for instance, to apply green instead of orange, to apply blue instead of dark brown and red instead of light brow. Ideally, I would like that all form with a same color (ex: orange) changed all automatically to for instance green.

Possible?

Regards,

Greg.

52 minutes ago, Gregory Dubus said:

As I would like to get the entire painting in full white (and only keeping the black lines) then, this could be helpful as I could apply a white rectangle.

That's not achievable with my suggestion in this thread. But I provided some good starting point for that in your other thread.

»A designer's job is to improve the general quality of life. In fact, it's the only reason for our existence.«
Paul Rand (1914-1996)

The best result I've got for this is to...

1. Apply an Exposure adjustment layer and set it to 6, looks awful and very yellow, click the merge button... 
  2. Apply a Black and white adjustment layer leave the settings, just click the Merge button again.
  3. If you want to make the lines a bit darker apply a Brightness and Contrast filter and set to somewhere around the -65% - 85% on the brightness and click the merge button.

You should end up with something resembling this...
image.png.53e784f3f74d588c168408e499111e68.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Dear All,

For getting my painting is totally black and white, my problem is fixed.

But, in this request, I need to find a way to replace easily and rapidly all the geometric forms of one color (ex: The orange color) to another color of my choice (ex: Blue). Then, I could apply the same principal to others colors visible in the painting.

Note: I do not use vector. It is just a scan on JPG of one of my painting.

Possible?

Cheers,

Greg. 

2017-12-29_Wuthering heights-4MB.jpg

You could try something like that in my attached video but, since the original colours are so close to each other, you might need to refine the selection manually quite a lot to get even a reasonable result.
I’m sure one of the experts will be able to give you a better way of selecting the colours.

P.S. Sorry about the size of the video. Don't know why it's so large.

Garrys approach is intersting, I didn't know that this tool was colour aware.

My approach would be to use the HSL tool and target the colour you want to change. You can target a very specific colour by moving those round handles on the colour wheel.

You'll have to narrow it way down because the orange is very close to the yellow. I have pushed the handles as close as possible. The yellow is still affected very slightly. Perhaps it still meets your expectation. 

1. Open a HSL adjustment layer

2. Click on one of the colours and make a random extreme adjustment, for example brightness all up (to see on what colour it is applied)

3. Push the handles form both ends all the way together.

4. Now grab one of the outer handles to move the target colour until it changes just that colour you want to change.

HSL.jpg

28 minutes ago, user_0815 said:

You can target a very specific colour by moving those round handles on the colour wheel.

Nice solution. And even easier, if you use the picker tool ("Pipette" in der Deutschen Version) in order to find the starting centre for limiting the colour range.

Paul Rand (1914-1996)

Before you do the HSL adjustment layer to change the colours add a Live Filter: Bilateral blur set to Radius: 5px and Tolerance: 15% this will even out the colours and make changing them smoother.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

How to burn your retina's out...
image.png.f050b9c5d9d1fc1eb442d5f5282350e6.png

My attempt is to use Garrys Selection method and then use Fill layers to get the separate layers. From there you can apply recolour adjustment layers to your hearts content.

1. Apply a live bilateral blur see my post above for settings
  2. Deselect Background layer
  3. Choose a Blue colour for the Orange 
  4. Select the Background Layer
  5. Select the Flood selection tool
  6. Select a colour you want to change/overlay until you have as much selected as possible, not easy as the image is quite bitty.
  7. Click on Layer Fill Layer, you now have your first colour stencil
  8. Repeat 1 to 5 for the other colours

Hi First defence,

This is exactly what I am looking for!!! But, I was not able to obtain this result reading your instruction and I do not know where I made a mistake (knowing for instance that I couldn't find 'click on layer fill layer').

Possible to show the steps in a video?

Thanks in advance for your support,

Greg.