You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to get a picture half coloured and half black and white with a straight line separating them?

Hi,

After using the filter 'Black and White', I have used the paint brush tool to reveal half of my painting with the original color. My problem is that I was not able to make a straight line to separate the part of the painting being coloured versus the part of the painting being in black and white.

So, could you, please, let me know how could I create a straight line going from top left to bottom right separating the part being coloured versus the part being in black and white?

Thanks in advance for your support.

Greg.

Test2.jpg

There will be of course other ways. Here is my way. Snapping enabled use the Pen tool to draw a triangle and after finishing the triangle click on Selection in the Context Toolbar.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

To restrict the B&W adjustment to a triangular region drawn with the Pen Tool or the Triangle Tool, go to the Layers panel, drag the triangle layer and drop it onto the thumbnail of the adjustment layer.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Hi Joachim,

Sorry but I am new to Affinity and do not understand. How to get snapping enabled? Do I already need to have my black and white adjustment when going to selection? Do I need to do this on the original (coloured) or on the adjustment 'Black and white?

Hi Alfred,

I do not understand what you mean by 'drag the triangle layer and drop it to the thumbnail of the adjustment layer. Possible to clarify?

Cheers,

Greg

FYI, After making the triangle and clicked on selection, I was able to use the bush to show the color where I wanted perfectly! Thanks! Once done, the strange thing is that I keep seeing the triangle highlighted with small dots (which is not visible when I export). I have tried to delete it but then everything inside is deleted. So, shall I expect it to always be highlighted or is there a way to remove its highlightment like it doesn't appear anymore when I export the image?

Thanks!

Greg.

The small dots are sometimes called 'marching ants' and are an indication of the area that you have selected. Anything you do when you have a selection (delete, paint...) will only affect the selected area. They're a typical feature of all image-editing apps. To remove them, choose Deselect from the Select menu.

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

1 hour ago, Gregory Dubus said:

Hi Alfred,

I do not understand what you mean by 'drag the triangle layer and drop it to the thumbnail of the adjustment layer. Possible to clarify?

Cheers,

Greg

You can drag layers around in the Layers panel to achieve various outcomes, the simplest of which is to reorder the layers so that a lower layer becomes an upper one. If you drop a dragged layer immediately below and to the right of the target layer’s thumbnail it will become nested so that it is clipped to the target layer; i.e. any part of the dragged/dropped layer which is beyond the bounds of the target clipping layer will disappear from view, but the rest of the clipping object will remain visible. However, if you drop the dragged layer on top of the thumbnail of the target layer it will crop/mask the target; i.e. only the part of the target layer which is covered by the masking object will remain visible, and the masking object itself will disappear.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)