You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Desaturation: Difference between HSL and Vibrance

Hi,

what is the difference between HSL adjustment (saturation shift slider -100 %) and Vibrance adjustment (saturation slider -100 %) when used for desaturation in Affinity Photo?  

The result with HSL adjustment usually appears darker. Why?

Thanks.

Hi @JoelOwens I have a vague memory, from many years ago, of reading that Vibrance adjustments were tuned for human skin tones.  This was, for example, to avoid unnatural orange colour casts when increasing saturation in images containing subjects with what's referred to as "white" skin.  In contrast, a saturation adjustment from HSL would be applied equally (or proportionally?) across each colour channel and in each of shadows, mid-tones and highlights and could more easily result in garish adjustments.

I'd assume that something similar goes on in reverse with your desaturation - throttled desaturation in vibrance, linear/proportional desaturation in HSL adjustments.

Note that this recollection dates back to pre-Affinity days, referring of course to older versions of Adobe's pride and joy.  Specific details might have evolved a little over the years, but probably not significantly.

—— Gary ——

Photo/Designer/Publisher: Affinity Store, v2.4.n release

Mac mini (M1, 2020), 16GB/2TB, macOS Ventura 13.4.1(c) • MacBook Pro (Intel), macOS Ventura • Windows 10 via VMware Fusion • iOS: current release

• Staff

Hi @JoelOwens :)

Unfortunately we're not in a position to directly discuss the algorithms Affinity uses for the HSL / Vibrance adjustments, however we can certainly provide some more contextual information here!

As Gary has mentioned above, the Vibrance adjustment is designed to 'protect' skin tones - even when set to maximum values in either direction. Therefore the Saturation slider in the Vibrance adjustment acts differently from the HSL Saturation slider, as Vibrance is using this 'protect' algorithm and HSL does not.

This allows for the HSL adjustment to 'push' pixels past certain Saturation points that the Vibrance adjustment simply can't do and can lead to more extreme over-saturation/de-saturation.

This is covered in the below video tutorial from Olivio Sarikas - 

I hope this helps!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!